Harman 52i igniter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mr47930

Burning Hunk
Aug 11, 2014
Southern MD
Hi all! Been a while since I e last posted but that because the Harman has been running flawlessly for a few years. Only thing I e replaces is the gaskets and center medallion.

Noticed recently though that it’s taking a while to light and pellets are overflowing before igniting. I clean this thing religiously inside and out so I assume the igniter is going bad. I did some research and found the pellet head video but it seems like a different setup than mine. I do not have the 5/16 screws on the outside of the burnpot. Opening up the hatch reveals an Allen screw and what looks like a cage around the igniter. Do I just take the screw out and the igniter will fall out?

I know I have to pull it out from the wall and clip the wire tie to give me some slack, at least I think I do? Anyone know if this model has the silicone in the back?

Attachments

• F23725A3-C2D8-410A-8A00-B51E49DB80B4.jpeg
    F23725A3-C2D8-410A-8A00-B51E49DB80B4.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 295
Just slide the latch up and the metal plate drops out along with the igniter. As for the rear setup I haven’t had to replace mine yet but assume it’s the same as all the other stoves where everything is secured in back

Attachments

• 0AC63A91-5A04-4DC3-8A32-3C9CE0471B20.jpeg
    0AC63A91-5A04-4DC3-8A32-3C9CE0471B20.jpeg
    195.2 KB · Views: 457
Before you replace your igniter, check the burn pot very carefully. My 52i was taking longer and longer to start a flame, up to 15 minutes sometimes. I noticed when cleaning the burn pot a couple of nights ago there was a buildup low in the pot that was very thin but very hard to remove. It took a lot of scraping to gradually dislodge this deposit. On restart, the stove only took five or six minutes to produce a flame.

Reactions: Montecarlossfan
Do not remove allen screw! Harman used this cradle for maybe 1 year before going back to the original 2 5/16" screw design. The flip latch cradle is a real pain! Or maybe I havent figured it out yet. Seems like the igniter gets bumped it wants to fall out. And it scares me that the cradle is not replacable? No silicone needed to replace igniter. Just cut wire ties and pull yellow and blue wire in to stove with igniter then pull back making sure wires are on the bottom of cavity not up by burn pot floor

Rickwai is correct regarding that burnpot.
The original circa-2013 burnpot had the holes in the side of it and was having some problems lighting. My 52i still retains this burnpot.

Harman replaced it with burnpot # 1-00-574400 which is what you have with the latch.
Some years later they went back to their old style burnpot with the two 5/16" screws and igniter cage but still with no holes in the sides.
This is the burnpot # 1-00-574605.

Jeff

Can anyone tell me what the replacement burnout is for a Harmon 52I bought in December, 2015? I have heard conflicting answers to replace with 87 hole or the 52I T/C burnpot. Most everything I see available aftermarket has 82 air holes.
Tom, NH

1-00-574605 This looks like the Burnpot with igniter cradle included. 2-5/16" screw style. I would stay away from aftermarket