Harman Absolute 63 - top vent adapter or replace pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bgermain1689

Jan 28, 2023
USA
Looking at replacing a wood stove with a harman absolute 63.

Current stove has probably 30+ feet of double walled class A 6 inch pipe to the ceiling of a vaulted room.

Seems like the top vent adapter would let me keep and reuse this pipe with a quick and simple stove swap.

every dealer I’ve talked to tends to push me towards replacing the pipe with 4’ inch pellet pipe for the whole run.

does this make sense? are they just trying to rack up the sales total? are there practical reasons to avoid the top vent adapter?

any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

On mine (Enviro EF3) Clean out Tee turned at 45Deg then 45Deg to
run 3 in double-walled 8 ft to a 3 to 6-inch adapter and up 18 feet of 6-inch Class A
Never have had a problem in 22 years My guess is they want more money
Could be wrong Just my nickles worth.

On mine (Enviro EF3) Clean out Tee turned at 45Deg then 45Deg to
run 3 in double-walled 8 ft to a 3 to 6-inch adapter and up 18 feet of 6-inch Class A
Never have had a problem in 22 years My guess is they want more money
Could be wrong Just On mine (Enviro EF3) Clean out Tee turned at 45Deg then 45Deg to

I had someone suggest similar but still wanted to run 4-inch flex inside the full length of the 6-inch class A.

I would take a setup like yours to have the clean out T and forgo the harman top vent adapter but everyone still seems to want to run more pipe.

If it were a gas stove then I'd run a liner but a class-A chimney
they couldn't sell me a liner
My youngest son is an HVAC tech here ( Ontario Canada) and that's what he suggested for me
and my stove. He is also WETT Certifed ( Wood Energy Technology Transfer)

Only thing I can think of being able to clean the pipe. without a tee.. How did clean it with the wood stove ?/

Only thing I can think of being able to clean the pipe. without a tee.. How did clean it with the wood stove ?/
I never did it myself, hired out every summer. I think they disconnected the pipe to get in there. I’d often notice parts were put back on in a different orientation than before the cleaning.

one year my pipe damper handle wound up on the opposite side than where it started.

with this much vertical pipe in the room i’d probably continue paying someone else to do it, and they charge the same with or without the T.

I agree, you don't have to replace all that pipe, but, with the larger diameter, you will not gain as much heat from the pipe. And, most Harman's have a more than powerful enough fan for the 6". Cheaper stoves often do not.

I agree, you don't have to replace all that pipe, but, with the larger diameter, you will not gain as much heat from the pipe. And, most Harman's have a more than powerful enough fan for the 6". Cheaper stoves often do not.
Thanks! good to know.

The top vent adapter has a clean out hatch built into it. No tee needed. Just like the top vent adapter available for the XXV.

Reactions: Mt Bob