Harman absolute 63 caught fire again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If smoke is coming out the venting and not the stove then it seams like the venting is the issue not the stove?
Who is the manufacturer of that venting?
Is the venting 4” diameter?
I like the 4” Duravent with no silicone gaskets (silicone venting gaskets do not wear very well and can be difficult!) that twist and lock together and you can always use high temperature foil tape on the vent seams to stop any smoke leaking. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: johneh and Piney
Pretty complex chimney. Unburnt fines may get through during cleaning cycles/start ups and pile up at the first outside T since making it through the rest of the chimney route would be a challenge for a lot of blowers. Then extra air or whatever could set the (possibly) pyrolized mass ablaze.
But I’m a dread merchant.
And I view outside chimney parts as creosote factories - also a possible issue.

Last edited:
Pretty complex chimney.
Fwiw we installed our pellet burners not where we wanted but rather where we could avoid bends in the chimney.

940E0A0D-E09D-40F5-B79C-2F835B64E5BC.jpeg

So what did your dealer have to say?
Inquiring minds want to know!!

Reactions: usefulidi0t
Sorry to hear about your harman stove , I have sold harmans for 20 years and never have heard of a chimney fire . and one thing i see with all that pipe is it is very hard to run brushes around 90 degree elbows , you almost need to disconnect that pipe to get a good cleaning . we used to run the shop vacuum on blow and blast out the pipe from the bottom of the tee after we brushed the pipe. have you had other harman stoves on this same pipe run ?

I was told by the tech yesterday the stove pulls air from the room. Which is a large room walk out basement. No outside air kit.

It’s also lake front property and they even were thinking that could be issue with moisture build up ?

downfall of pulling air from inside is that every draft you have in the home is magnified as the stove is trying to get combustion air and it has to pull from somewhere.

Reactions: Washed-Up and Piney
Thank you. Interesting article. Stove is in walk out basement in corner of the room the comment on back drafting caught my attention. The FD mentioned drafting as an issue.

After reading web search on pellet back draft I am pretty sure that’s what happen.
Just wondering how a back draft down a chimney starts a fire in the chimney
Smoke out the combustion air intake yes, Fire?

The venting is a 3 inch pipe Ventis is the MFG.

The moisture in the stove and ash is still the question with no answer.
Hello
Thanks for the info. That can be difficult to service and work with unless they have made some improvements. Here is the moisture answer too. :)
The best venting by far for any pellet stove is Selkirk DT (DT = Direct Temperature) that is very popular in the North East here due to our very damp climate because it draws the burn air in from a 3rd wall and warms and dries the air which gives the driest and most fluffy ash I have ever seen! Not only does it prevent interior rusting of the stove but also makes the stove heating 10% more efficient! I have this venting on all 3 of our Harmans with the optional Easy Vacuum Cleanout! Therefore I highly recommend it. The flue diameter is 4” which also makes the Harmans breathe better for more heat and make the door glass stay cleaner. Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
The venting is a 3 inch pipe Ventis is the MFG.

The moisture in the stove and ash is still the question with no answer.
Not such a mystery -- combustion produces water vapor. If the flue is cool enough, the water vapor condenses, producing creosote. If the stove is running so low that the burn chamber is under 140 degrees, moisture will condense there.

In my boiler I strive to keep the water jacket temp at or above 140 because creosote can develop under cooler conditions. I'm sure it's a lot easier to get the burn chamber of a stove up to temp, but if it's maintaining a low flame, the temperature in a complicated flue could be allowing lots of condensation.

It looks like Ventis makes single-wall as well as double-wall pipe. This flue is entirely double-wall, correct?

The pipe outside bottom elbow had flames coming out. The inside pipe and bottom of stove were had smoke coming out. Melted interior pipe gaskets again. Both inside and outside. What I don’t understand is how topping off the pellets and closing top lid results in fire and smoke in one minutes time. When stove was running fine all day.

Thank you
it is not possible for an inner pipe to melt / it should be stainless steel / you need to send picture of testing label on the pipe /
confirm they are not using b vent by mistake

it is not possible for an inner pipe to melt / it should be stainless steel / you need to send picture of testing label on the pipe /
confirm they are not using b vent by mistake
I quote:
"Melted interior pipe gaskets again"

Reactions: bholler