Harman Accentra 52i-TC - Control remotely?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jsahara24

Feb 21, 2014
Kutztown, PA
I bought a Harman Accentra Insert along with the zero clearance box and installed it at my camp in upstate NY last fall. I used it all last year and was very happy with its performance. This year I am trying to figure out a way to turn the stove on from home before I leave for camp. Usually when I get to camp its below freezing inside, and it takes a few hours to warm it up.

So this past weekend I got the internet at camp. Next up was doing some testing to determine if I use a WIFI outlet to turn the pellet stove on will it fire up the stove. So I turned the tstat down so the stove when into shutdown mode, once the exhaust fan turned off I left the stove "on" but with the desired temp on the tstat below actual temp in the cabin so it wouldn't turn on.

Then I hit the breaker to shut off the stove, waited a couple minutes and turned the breaker on. The stove immediately started to ignite and lit the fire up. So assuming what I did is not bad for stove I think I will be able to turn the stove off before I leave with the WIFI outlet. Then before I head back turn the outlet on which will fire the stove, and I will arrive to a toasty cabin. Or at least an above freezing cabin! haha.....

Thoughts? Better ideas? Is it a bad idea?

Thanks!
Jason

I should clarify as I read what I wrote and I was mistaken, I actually turned the stove off until it completely shut down. Then turned the tstat up so it started igniting and then immediately turned the power off and subsequently on.

My plan moving forward is to not turn the tstat up, as the temp will definitely be lower than it was previously set at when I turn it on the following trip remotely.

Thanks..