Harman Accentra 52i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2014
Rhode Island
I had the above Harman installed yesterday. The install crew from the shop where I purchased it arrived at 940am. This obviously was not their first install. Considering that the stove shop ran a special for February with free installation, it was a terrific deal. By 12 noon they were on their way out and I was enjoying the heat it was throwing off minus a little cook off odor from the production process. I'll try to add some pictures below. Hope all have a great weekend. This website has been crucial to preparation and homework, so thanks to you all. 20140221_103611.jpg 1393002457990.jpg

Beautiful.

I had the above Harman installed yesterday. The install crew from the shop where I purchased it arrived at 940am. This obviously was not their first install. Considering that the stove shop ran a special for February with free installation, it was a terrific deal. By 12 noon they were on their way out and I was enjoying the heat it was throwing off minus a little cook off odor from the production process. I'll try to add some pictures below. Hope all have a great weekend. This website has been crucial to preparation and homework, so thanks to you all.View attachment 128268 View attachment 128270
That's sweet. Nice

The technicians also spent 20 minutes answering questions and discussing maintenance items along with what should be done on a weekly and monthly schedule. It was such a great experience to have a useful appliance be so user friendly.

Enjoy the heat, you're gonna love it !!

I've spent the past decade enjoying my in laws accentra when visiting them in CT in the winter. Frequently I'd sleep in their family room in front of that insert so comfortably. I just waited... My wife got the house she'd wanted and I spent smart money on this insert to offset a little oil overhead cost and improve our quality of life by 200% at least. Glad to join the club. Best wishes to all the good sharing going on at this website.

Love the install - enjoy the heat and the forum! Now all you have to do is get rid of the sticks of wood in the basket and replace with pellets;lol

Fair point on the wood etc. I'm going to have to look at a can of some sort for pellets next to the hearth... :cool:

It's completely over the hill. I was going to hold until June honestly, but heard: 1) price on 52i would go up $150 or so in April (could be bs), and 2) shop I purchased from did free install (figure $500 + savings) so... Pulled the trigger. Glad to have it and a ton of pellets to develop some good habits before spring hits... :)

Nice install.

Update: since the install we had to go out of town so yesterday till today was our first burn. I have about 3,500 Sq ft and 2 thermostats. My wife set them both at 63 when we got home with unseasonably warm weekend weather in New England. Last night with feed rate at 3 and Stove temp blower set to medium the temps haven't gone below 67. We both like it a little on the cool side honestly, but here's the blessing... I haven't heard the furnace kick on yet (I'm sure it went this morning with showers, but I didn't hear it). Pellets feel pretty darn good compared to oil.

Best of luck to everyone in New England with the next snow in the forecast for Wednesday! Oh and 1 last thing -- the new blower on the 52i is muy macho compared to the 42i.

Update: since the install we had to go out of town so yesterday till today was our first burn. I have about 3,500 Sq ft and 2 thermostats. My wife set them both at 63 when we got home with unseasonably warm weekend weather in New England. Last night with feed rate at 3 and Stove temp blower set to medium the temps haven't gone below 67. We both like it a little on the cool side honestly, but here's the blessing... I haven't heard the furnace kick on yet (I'm sure it went this morning with showers, but I didn't hear it). Pellets feel pretty darn good compared to oil.

Best of luck to everyone in New England with the next snow in the forecast for Wednesday! Oh and 1 last thing -- the new blower on the 52i is muy macho compared to the 42i.
Oh did they change hat forecast, last I knew it was a wed deal if anything at all. What's new!

Glad the stove is going well!

I'm new to pellets stoves and feeling out the best settings etc as many folks here have. A little pellet rookie humor:
1) Observation - just because my wife turns the stove down at night so that the oil thermostat kicks on since my house's ambient temp drops like ROCK doesn't mean I have to lose my marbles...
2) Observation- anyone whose ever spent hours of their life on watch in the middle of the ocean, days apart from another contact on radar (forget seeing anything) feels a special connection staring tired at the compass inside the Harman Accentra... Navy or merchant marine fellas pls confirm...
3) Observation - any day is better by finishing it in front of the ambiance and warmth of a pellet stove cranked up (not funny, but true)

Ok, so I've asked my better half not to change any settings (but sure, top off the hopper any time).... That doesn't that make me a bad guy.... Maybe half bad

Reactions: Boomer Sailor
I'm new to pellets stoves and feeling out the best settings etc as many folks here have. A little pellet rookie humor:
1) Observation - just because my wife turns the stove down at night so that the oil thermostat kicks on since my house's ambient temp drops like ROCK doesn't mean I have to lose my marbles...
2) Observation- anyone whose ever spent hours of their life on watch in the middle of the ocean, days apart from another contact on radar (forget seeing anything) feels a special connection staring tired at the compass inside the Harman Accentra... Navy or merchant marine fellas pls co
3) Observation - any day is better by finishing it in front of the ambiance and warmth of a pellet stove cranked up (not funny, but true)

Ok, so I've asked my better half not to change any settings (but sure, top off the hopper any time).... That doesn't that make me a bad guy.... Maybe half bad
My wife won't fill the hopper unless , well it hasn't happened yet. She will scrape the burn pot, which is a very good thing with these Natures Own Pellets because it can use it about every 4 hours with them and she generally is home. My wife absolutely doesn't touch the controls without blow by blow description of what I want her to do, usually over the phone because I am at work. When I am at home she is a willing sitter next to the stove and that's it regarding the stove.

The glow is nice, yes.
Watching the flame (as in the total newby stage) warrants periodic trips to the control box, yes. But generally unwarranted trips in the end !
Harmans baby sit themselves , sit back and feed it.

Troubleshooting Day 1 (5th full burn day): this am my 3 yo woke up at 530 and I didn't hear the stove or see light, so headed downstairs and found a 6 blink fault. I was planning on a weekly cleaning today anyway so I had discussed with the installer and thought through what to use etc and found when I opened the door all was cool, like the fault shut her down at 3am. I put down a drop cloth and remembering the cliff notes from my father In law, I slowly took everything out vacuumed it out, cleaning it all off. In the end I turned it off, the rotated the switch to test systems. I believe, cross your fingers, it was the 24/7 operation and resulting 5 days worthy ash that finally disturbed combustion air. The accentra insert has a shallow/low volume ash pan relatively speaking so I'll have to take care to clean it more frequently. I found both the troubleshooting posts on hearth and the users manuals explanation of the fault to be the keys. Hope everyone's doing well on pellets and temperatures. Like all my other problems in life 80% of the time it's "operator error"!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lake Girl
Troubleshooting Day 1 (5th full burn day): this am my 3 yo woke up at 530 and I didn't hear the stove or see light, so headed downstairs and found a 6 blink fault. I was planning on a weekly cleaning today anyway so I had discussed with the installer and thought through what to use etc and found when I opened the door all was cool, like the fault shut her down at 3am. I put down a drop cloth and remembering the cliff notes from my father In law, I slowly took everything out vacuumed it out, cleaning it all off. In the end I turned it off, the rotated the switch to test systems. I believe, cross your fingers, it was the 24/7 operation and resulting 5 days worthy ash that finally disturbed combustion air. The accentra insert has a shallow/low volume ash pan relatively speaking so I'll have to take care to clean it more frequently. I found both the troubleshooting posts on hearth and the users manuals explanation of the fault to be the keys. Hope everyone's doing well on pellets and temperatures. Like all my other problems in life 80% of the time it's "operator error"!!!
So did it fire back up?

Theory for consideration. I welcome any others might have--

Since the stove was in I had run it 24/7 in stove temp medium to high, feed rate started at 3 but then cranked it up to 4.5 to 5, set temp at 80 +.

As described above I got 6 blink fault (probably combustion air).

My father in law has run his accentra 42i for a decade and we discussed.

My theory is that the large amount of ash in the pan was due to incomplete combustion, not fully combusting pellets as completely as necessary and harder deposits in the burn pot had allowed some interruption in the burn along with excess ash...

Since cleaning and getting the stove fully operational on Friday am it hasn't had further issue. I have shifted to more settings per what I've seen here: room temp mid set, feed rate 3, temp set to 75. Strangely enough the house seems warmer while the last 36 hours we've had pretty low temps.

Thoughts are welcome and greatly appreciated.

Congrats on a beautiful stove.i do a good 7 day cleaning on my harman p35i and just did my first ton cleaning recently went great. Enjoy the heat and lower oil cost:)

Amen ctcarl. The stove is keeping a family room with very high ceilings and a good ceiling fan at a cozy 70degrees at seating level. Rarely have the furnace kick on for showers in the am. Such a nice feeling with oil bills that care approach $900 a fill. In the last week I've burned 10 bags of barefoot pellets. So $60 and could've been $180-220 in oil. Yeah baby!

Reactions: Ctcarl
Performance feedback: with storm Titan approaching New England our overnight was much higher (32 or so) than prior 3-4 days so I was curios what the same room temp setting would provide as I have a cathedral family room (no doors). When my son, the 3yo, woke me help him blow his nose at 530, we walked downstairs.

Room temp medium, temp 75, feed 3--- actual room temp 75.

Performance feedback: with storm Titan approaching New England our overnight was much higher (32 or so) than prior 3-4 days so I was curios what the same room temp setting would provide as I have a cathedral family room (no doors). When my son, the 3yo, woke me help him blow his nose at 530, we walked downstairs.

Room temp medium, temp 75, feed 3--- actual room temp 75.
I saw Titan will not be much near the Hartford area just 1-3 inches.I always keep mine on stove temp instead of room temp.I experimented both ways and I room temp mine would eat more pellets and get more ashy.On room temp for me once it hit it temp it would turn off for a hour or two at times.Didnt want the wear and tear on the igniter.

Status
Not open for further replies.