Harman Accentra , circuit board information

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mark lanctot

Oct 28, 2012
NW, CT
I suspect the circuit board is in need of help. Stove starts fine in auto mode but then reverts to a "Limp" status, no matter what setting. I'd like to get some more indepth information on board settings before venturing into just replacing it. This stove sat in a warehouse for many years prior to install. Slightly used and the circuit board was disconnected and set aside. Is there a link anywhere?

What do you mean by limp mode? could there be a a blockage in the feeder/ hopper? It could also be a faulty exhaust sensing probe.

The stove has been completely cleaned. Yes, the box enclosing the probe was opened and vacuumed. It could be the sensing probe. I just played with it a little and when the Temp. setting is increased the blower ramps up. I guess what I'm saying is the stove does not shut down but just keeps feeding pellets slowly to maintain a fire. I read elsewhere on this Forum of a similar situation solved with a new board. What goes south on these to cause this?

Certainly the circuit board could be an issue, or a sensor as well, but technicians have said many times that in their experiences, a 100% cleaning of the entire stove fixes almost 70% of stove problems. There have been countless posts here where the OP wrote they cleaned the stove, only to find out later that there was an ash-filled crevice or duct upon closer examination. Always start with the simplest possible problem and work backwards. Let us know what you find.

What all have you done to clean it? Like others have mentioned some simple things can be overlooked. List out everything you have done so we can guide you better. Have you cleaned out the fines box? What box around the ESP probe? Is the fines box cover seated well and in proper alignment?

How old is this stove? The more details you provide the better understanding everyone will have to help out. There are many things that could cause issues so we need to check some off of the list.

Took out the circuit board. All the pins are "OFF", except 8#. When I get home I'll investigate further. For some reason I believe this may have been used as a display model.
Cleaning I don't think is an issue.

It could be some crud on the CB or such not letting good connection happen if it sat so long. Or possibly dip switch settings. If it is all cleaned well and in good shape there then likely it is something with the pot switches, dip switches, and / or a malfunctioning ESP or control board. Check your manual for the dip switch settings or search here.

They vary depending on things like red or black wired ESP etc; I do not think it being a display that they would have messed with much but you never know what others might have done.

From what you have described it sounds like it starts as normal in Auto mode then somehow reverts to manual and doing a maintenance burn. Have you rolled the Pot switches trying to get them to make contact and flipped the igniter switch. When things get moth balled goofy stuff can and will happen for lack or use. Possible corrosion, dirt and dust issues? Possible electrical surge sometime in its life or someone tinkering with it plug into power?

Did a little research today. When I got home I turned number 3, 5 and 6 on. Plugged the stove in and turner her on, she seems to cycle now. Still doesn't seem to completely turn off when room temp is satisfied but not stuck in maintenance mode. I'll have to play with this some more. Thanks for the suggestions.

upload_2015-11-17_19-33-1.png

Reactions: Peterfield
It will dwell in low fire mode for about 1 hr I think once stat is met so it can see if it will need to kick back up. That keeps from going thru so many ignition cycles and provides a more even heat

That's good to know. Our freestanding Harman Accentra seems to act in a more reliable fashion. It's starting to get colder here in Connecticut. We've only had to turn her on when home in the morning and evening. I have found additional dip settings for this same insert. I fiddle with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.