Harman Accentra feeder motor not staying still

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MaarekStele

Dec 24, 2017
New England
Bought a used Harman Accentra-2 and this is the first season running it. The whole thing worked nicely until a new very suddle noise was starting to occur. The pellets are entering the auger and being fed into the burn pot. It just seems that something is loose in the back.

Feeder set to 2(turned down from 4 per startup instructions), Room Temp, Temp set to 75degs. I also switch the ignitor back over to manual. Is leaving the system on auto the entire time ok?

I first noticed this noise last night while the stove was running. I don't have easy access to the back of the stove it's close to the chimney mantel. I pulled off the left rear panel where I have access to clean out the fines and there were fines behind the panel, but didn't look alarming. After closing and starting up again, the noise continued. See attachment for visual from manual.

What I am seeing is the motor being lifted and setting back into place 1mm of movement. I can put my hand on the chainbox and it won't move during the cycle and no noise.

Looking at the manual, feeder assembly, I see a "3/4 Feeder Tensioner". Should I adjust that, and in which direction?

Attachments

• harman.png
    harman.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 152
I'm assuming you have the chain drive model. Put the stove in test mode and watch the auger/feed motor for anything unusual. The chain should be aligned and moving smoothly. If there's a misalignment the chain my not ride on the sprockets smoothly. There should be a slight amount of slack in the chain. The chain rides on a nylon bushing which can be adjusted up/down. Loosen the bolt thru the nylon bushing to adjust the slack in the chain. I apply a light amount of high temperature grease on the chain and sprockets to keep it moving smoothly and it also reduces the noise.

I'm assuming you have the chain drive model. Put the stove in test mode and watch the auger/feed motor for anything unusual. The chain should be aligned and moving smoothly. If there's a misalignment the chain my not ride on the sprockets smoothly. There should be a slight amount of slack in the chain. The chain rides on a nylon bushing which can be adjusted up/down. Loosen the bolt thru the nylon bushing to adjust the slack in the chain. I apply a light amount of high temperature grease on the chain and sprockets to keep it moving smoothly and it also reduces the noise.

I put the system in test mode and watched all moving parts. The "noise" wouldn't occur. I guess I ran test mode why the hopper was emptied after I vacuumed it, so the feeding system didn't kick in until I turned it back on to listen.

The chain rides on a nylon bushing which can be adjusted up/down. Loosen the bolt thru the nylon bushing to adjust the slack in the chain.
This part I'm going to play the rookie/novice card. Can I see the bolt if the chain is within a metal protective housing? Or will that chain housing have to come off to see the bolt.

edit: found this video:
And it looks like I would have to take the housing off.

The feeder is set to 3 now and the noise is not occuring like before. Videos say that a good cleaning is the issue. For me, it's proof in the pudding that really matters. I still believe it's in the chain tension or the gears like you said.

Last edited:
There's 2 different versions of the Accentra stove. One has a chain drive and the newer model does not. The newer model, as shown above, is the direct drive model and has no chain.

There's 2 different versions of the Accentra stove. One has a chain drive and the newer model does not. The newer model, as shown above, is the direct drive model and has no chain.
That video I posted shows a direct drive motor? It's what I have. The manual is very generic then.

Good news. After that complete feeder cleaning, carbon scrapping around the auger, and testing. The stove is running better than before.

Other than that clunk, there was a slight whine to the motor that is no longer present. Next time, I'm looking the gift horse in the mouth.

I'm also running my pellets through a sand sifter to get the extra fines out before putting them into the hopper.

All parts look great. Wish I knew it just needed a cleaning.