Harman Accentra pulsing vibration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

curt in wmass

Jul 14, 2017
Massachusetts
Just want to pass along my latest experience with used Accentra I bought for this season...decided while weather still warm to remove feed auger..everything was fairly clean,after I got it back together and fired up it made a loud,and pulsing vibration sound when feed motor came on,and it had a constant rythym...spent couple days with mechanics stethoscope trying to find it but everything was quiet and only heard noise when I touched exhaust...long story the rubber feed were not in cups on platform and werent to begin with..so got in cups and leveled off and noise gone,before I did this noticed if I pulled up on stove in certain areas noise would diminish..my first Harman stove and think I got all set,nice and quiet now,took feed motor apart at same time and redistributed the grease,all fans turn with little effort so good to go,maybe this tidbit might help another newbie like me.Also noise would almost totally go away after stove was on for 1/2 hour,drove me nuts.

I seen this in one of my customers accentra, do the same thing. Not sure what is causing it, but i suspect it's her 3 inch combustion pipe not allowing the stove to breath properly. Does your damper have a outside air source? Hers does not and could be pressure built up in the room?

I had hitched up outside air,but when we got first few real cold nights a lot of condensation occurred on and assume in pipe and hopper started filling up with smoke,unhitched outside air and smoke in hopper stopped.Our house is well over 100 years old so wasnt concerned about using inside air,stone foundation etc sure air coming in in spots.

Sounds like that stove needs re sealing and a complete clean out! It was probably clean neglected i see a lot of that. Did you take the heat exchanger cover off to access the combustion fan. I would take it out side if it warms up and rip the stove down and air compress it out.

Sounds like that stove needs re sealing and a complete clean out! It was probably clean neglected i see a lot of that. Did you take the heat exchanger cover off to access the combustion fan. I would take it out side if it warms up and rip the stove down and air compress it out.

Had totally cleaned stove prior to bringing in house,just decided to remove auger before weather got too cold..just as a peace of mind thing.Stove running excellent even today with 40 mph wind gusts,not sure they would bother or not anyways but is running perfect...quiet and has a consistent good flame so think Im set for awhile.Stove was totally filthy when i brought it home,worse was fact igniter was dead ,they used or over used the gel to start and took a bit to clean and burn off the build up.Thing I greatlly like about the stove is the fact the glass stays fairly clean,nice too see flame dance.

Reactions: Mikey pellet guy
Was there any residue in the auger tube,when you pulled the auger out?You said you had smoke in hopper when outside air was hooked up,makes me think you have an older one,that never had the upgrade kit put in.search harman gummy stove in the search box,above,if you want to research it.

Was there any residue in the auger tube,when you pulled the auger out?You said you had smoke in hopper when outside air was hooked up,makes me think you have an older one,that never had the upgrade kit put in.search harman gummy stove in the search box,above,if you want to research it.

Actually auger tube was fairly clean..now that you mention it wasnt any odd residue..just noticed input pipe for outside air was dripping wet when we hit a few cold nights..did do a quick google search and saw a few posts somewhere that mentioned outside air the culprit.Once unhitched been fine,did also see someting about "5 extra hole in burn pot"....and when I cleaned out all the holes was a bottom row of 5 but was 4side by side and 1 a bit further from them...bill of sale from previous says bought new 12-05-05 so think before any mods from factory?

Reactions: Ssyko
Great read Bob thanks!

Should never see smoke in hopper.That stove should run with a outside air,with never a problem.The old fix was drilling some holes in the auger tube,but then they figured out an easy way to add an air bypass hose.Will leave a link so you can see pictures and see if you have the kit installed. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/harman-accentra-gummy-stove-syndrome-solution.45548/

Did read another post by same person and he mentioned gummy area was on slide plate,mine was spotless...dont see any mod either,gonna give it a go this winter...burning great at moment.

Did read another post by same person and he mentioned gummy area was on slide plate,mine was spotless...dont see any mod either,gonna give it a go this winter...burning great at moment.
Every install is different,which is why not all stoves needed the kit.Just the fact you saw smoke in hopper,with proper air hooked up,was a warning flag to me.