Harman Accentra vent pipe installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mark lanctot

Oct 28, 2012
NW, CT
There seems to be a lot of opinions on this subject after all the reading on this site. Here is my question. I wish to install this free standing Accentra in our kitchen along an interior wall. There is a thimble about 2 feet above the location for the stove that has never been used. Instead of utilizing this exhaust location could I connect directly opposite the 3 inch vent pipe from the stove? The reason for this alternate approach would be for space considerations. It's a two story home about 25 years old. Chimney is cement block with standard clay tiles running its entire length.

There seems to be a lot of opinions on this subject after all the reading on this site. Here is my question. I wish to install this free standing Accentra in our kitchen along an interior wall. There is a thimble about 2 feet above the location for the stove that has never been used. Instead of utilizing this exhaust location could I connect directly opposite the 3 inch vent pipe from the stove? The reason for this alternate approach would be for space considerations. It's a two story home about 25 years old. Chimney is cement block with standard clay tiles running its entire length.

Hi Mark,

Noticed there have been no replies. I am not exactly sure what you are describing....maybe someone else with a lot more knowledge than me will know how to proceed. It might be helpful to post a picture. I am installing an Accentra FS right now and went straight out the back of the stove and through a brick hearth. Is that what you are describing?

Bill

Morning Bill,

That pretty much describes what I shall be doing. I need to go through a sheet rock wall to gain access to the chimney.

Hmmm. That is different than my install. Mine went straight back through the 8" wall (which was 2x6 studs and brick hearth) and then vented to outside. I didn't have to contend with a brick chimney to vent into. I really can't give you any advice because I am very new to this stuff and come to Hearth.com generally to get advice, not give it! HA! I'm sure someone here can help. I think posting a picture might help to describe your situation.

Good luck,
Bill

I am not sure you can vent into a chimney because of the draft consideration. I had a pellet furnace installed a few yrs ago and had an option to use a nearby chimney access. It was instead vented through a wall. Hopefully someone with more experience than me will chime in .

I vented my St Croix SCF-050 directly into an unused 7 in Stainless Steel all fuel chimney without a smaller liner. So far it has worked well without any hint of condensation or other issues, Note this goes up thru the house and isn't on on outside wall so it stays fairly warm.

Each install is different so it would be best to have someone with experience to look at the situation. Also a picture would help.

According to the installation manual it's perfectly acceptable, as long as the masonry flue is in good shape and has an appropriate sized liner.

Attachments

• venting.jpg
    venting.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 145
According to the installation manual it's perfectly acceptable, as long as the masonry flue is in good shape and has an appropriate sized liner.
It really depends on the size of the existing tile liner and also local code. If the liner is too large there will be a condensation problem and possibly some creosote issues. The interior of my fireplace chimney for instance was 8x11 more or less so I dropped a stainless 4" liner down it. People do run through existing 6" liners though in some cases. Local code and or inspectors opinion supersedes everything, though most inspectors will go right by your install manual..

Status
Not open for further replies.