Harman Accordion Cover Broken Latch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dontilgon

Nov 10, 2017
New York
As anyone came across this problem or solution. latch bolt snapped. Can't see a way to drill it out. Out of commission and it getting cold.

Sorry its the heat exchange plate latch. So I was able to successfully take the front frame off to access the broken bolt. The right side came off with no problem and I learned that there is a nut behind it . Any ideas on how to access the nut behind? Maybe I could thread through the back instead of dreadfully drilling it out.Also, this unit looks beat. Although every component as been change in 2014 the metal looks pretty ruff. Im going to scrape and clean before firing but do its think it worth fixing.

IMG_6179.JPG
IMG_6183.JPG
IMG_6185.JPG
IMG_6187.JPG

You, a wire wheel/grinder and some time clean real good check for cracks some fresh paint and it like new. If you drill it out you could possibly rtv a new nut in place before reassembly?

Drill would be the easiest,I think,unless you want to pull the top and side.That thing looks horrible,would be a prime candidate for a complete teardown,glass bead all parts,inspect heat exchanger for holes/thin spots,paint and reassemble.But if you need to use it,I would drill from front,prob with an angle drill.You have options,if you cannot rethread it easily,overdrill and spot weld in a stud,as the plate does not sit super tight against the top,anyway.You got any older mechanic friends?Most are very astute at broken bolts.