Harman Advance Auger Motor Failure

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Nice!

Welp, here we are again folks. Like clockwork. I swear this stove gives me the most problems on the coldest and snowiest of days.

Stove has been working great with the new sprockets and chain on top of getting the auger unjammed.

Last night the auger motor pin(?) stopped rotating. The fire went out, all the blowers continued to work until the stove shut down. I did notice the auger motor was hot to touch and smelled like burnt. So I imagine something is off with the gear box.

When I get home tonight, I'll completely clean the stove out and take apart the gear box to see whats going on now.

Any thoughts in the meantime?

Welp, here we are again folks. Like clockwork. I swear this stove gives me the most problems on the coldest and snowiest of days.

Stove has been working great with the new sprockets and chain on top of getting the auger unjammed.

Last night the auger motor pin(?) stopped rotating. The fire went out, all the blowers continued to work until the stove shut down. I did notice the auger motor was hot to touch and smelled like burnt. So I imagine something is off with the gear box.

When I get home tonight, I'll completely clean the stove out and take apart the gear box to see whats going on now.

Any thoughts in the meantime?
Reading through this I would probably order a new motor. Seems likely it could be shot but with how cheap they are it wouldn't be bad to have on the shelf.

I also note that my stove likes the chain a little looser than I initially tensioned it. I believe my auger motor is on the way out as well and probably should follow my own advice....

Reading through this I would probably order a new motor. Seems likely it could be shot but with how cheap they are it wouldn't be bad to have on the shelf.

I also note that my stove likes the chain a little looser than I initially tensioned it. I believe my auger motor is on the way out as well and probably should follow my own advice....
yea, this was my first thought. I had the motor replaced about 2 or so years ago, but we do brun 24/7 from nov/dec to april/may.

yea, this was my first thought. I had the motor replaced about 2 or so years ago, but we do brun 24/7 from nov/dec to april/may.
That seems relatively low on lifespan. Was it an OEM replacement?

Yes, Chain drive ccw, direct drives are cw

Reactions: Shank
Ah, well I just got home and figured is try to turn it on and the stove is now dead. Not turning over on any setting including test.

Not sure if it's a PC board problem or what now.

Nothing happens on test mode ? Do you have a volt meter/multimeter to check for voltage going to the auger motor, carefully...

Nothing happens on test mode ? Do you have a volt meter/multimeter to check for voltage going to the auger motor, carefully...
Nothing.

It's plugged into a surge protector. Protector works. Tried a different outlet. The lights that usually turn on for combustible, feed, ignitor, etc.. are not turning in. So I wonder if the PC board is fried.

Is there a fuse on that circuit board ??

I looked real quick on the web last night and saw a fuse on the board

The fuse is beside the white molex connector. Either a 5 or 6A fuse. Most likely blown. If fuse is blown, replace it and unhook igniter if fuse holds the igniter is bad. If it still blows with igniter unhooked, plug igniter back in and unhook combustion blower and retry. Those are the 2 things that typically blow the fuse on the circuit board on a Harman

The fuse is beside the white molex connector. Either a 5 or 6A fuse. Most likely blown. If fuse is blown, replace it and unhook igniter if fuse holds the igniter is bad. If it still blows with igniter unhooked, plug igniter back in and unhook combustion blower and retry. Those are the 2 things that typically blow the fuse on the circuit board on a Harman
Yes. A fuse, and a MOV.

Reactions: gfreek
I'll have to get into it tonight and take a picture.

Well,that motor has been stressed before. But I see no obvious reason as why fuse/board died. Yes, a properly aligned and good condition chain does not need to be super tight. And,I prefer to lube the chain.
Oh well, let us know after you check things out.

Reactions: Shank
I'm not even sure how to access the panel. It's riveted together with no clear way to access.

Crawling underneath this is the best I can get for a picture

20230127_170433.jpg 20230127_170453.jpg 20230127_170515.jpg 20230127_171213.jpg

Never had do do an Advance, but I would imagine there are screws to remove, and panel slides out? If not, the board will "pop" off those nylon retainers. You could call Don at East Coast Hearth, he will know.
Just from the pics, looks to me like fuse is blown, and the wire terminal insulation for the igniter look like they have been very hot, possible bad connections there.

Never had do do an Advance, but I would imagine there are screws to remove, and panel slides out? If not, the board will "pop" off those nylon retainers. You could call Don at East Coast Hearth, he will know.
Just from the pics, looks to me like fuse is blown, and the wire terminal insulation for the igniter look like they have been very hot, possible bad connections there.
Cool. Ill pick up a 6A fuse over the weekend and give it a go. Thanks!