harman advance question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

packofqtips

Nov 13, 2014
NH
i have a harman advance that i bought used, needed a auger motor and the top glass.
ive been using it for most of the winter. the problem i have is the glass and latch doesnt fit right and the glass wont latch shut, so i was putting something on the top to keep the lid fully closed.
when its like this the flame seems lazy, when i take the weight off to fill it the flame seems to burn better.
is the glass lid supposed to seal completely shut?

Yes, the glass is supposed to seal tightly. The latch should pull it down evenly on the gasket.
Whatever you are using for weight must be off center, allowing an air leak.

the flame looks better when its open, so not sealing evenly would be the same as open but the flame seems lazy when its closed tightly

Am not familiar with your particular stove but I'll give it a shot. It sounds like the stove is starving for air. Look at a dampner in your stove or a setting for more air if you have such a thing. Either of these things need to be changed to allow more air.

I believe the hooper lid is to be sealed tightly to prevent any possible hopper fire, or I should say to feed air to any potential hopper fire. It is part of a safety system on your stove.

Why isn't the glass and lid working correctly?

Harman stoves have very little adjustment for air. They have some draft adjustment via a pot switch in the middle of the board and use of it is described in the manual. Most stoves over 5 years old need the door gaskets changed out to prevent air leakage around them and not getting the proper flow through the pot. Do the dollar bill test an I would bet there is some problem there. I automatically replace the gaskets if I bring in a used stove. A kit with graphite impregnated gasket rope is around $10. Easy to do and solves at least one problem or so of a used stove.

From my own experience the hopper door must be sealed tightly. My hopper door latch loosened up and was not pulling the door down and this caused problems on low fire and also lighting problems. You can see the difference in the fire when in low fire mode. The air seems to come from the hopper instead of the air intake.
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.