Harman Auger squeal and Graphite?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyray

Minister of Fire
I read here about using Graphite in powder form and pouring it onto a small bed of pellets in the hopper.
[I assume when it's almost empty].
Anyways, all I could find at HD was the Spray Can of Graphite...used for metal, wood ,plastic etc..
Has anyone used the spray Graphite and with any good results?
No I don't have a noise but I'm one of the young Baby Boom retired and and lot's of time to think and prepare for Stove Armagedden. wife calls it way too much time Period!
sitting in the basement next to my Spare Igniter.

Try a farm supply or equipment dealer. I got a quart from a John Deere dealership. I never tried Amazon yet. We have more farm equipment dealers around here than grocery stores.

Hello
I like buffing the auger with a wire wheel on the drill driver them spraying it with "Dry Moly"

I get mine at Ace Hardware.

Tony I haven't touched the auger in seven years which is as long as I've had the stove and it has never squeaked, squealed or done anything other than feed pellets.

You're a good guy. IMO stop overthinking, don't fix what isn't broken and requires no maintenance other than to be kept clean. If you need a hobby, volunteer at the SPCA.

I read here about using Graphite in powder form and pouring it onto a small bed of pellets in the hopper.
[I assume when it's almost empty].
Anyways, all I could find at HD was the Spray Can of Graphite...used for metal, wood ,plastic etc..
Has anyone used the spray Graphite and with any good results?
No I don't have a noise but I'm one of the young Baby Boom retired and and lot's of time to think and prepare for Stove Armagedden. wife calls it way too much time Period!
sitting in the basement next to my Spare Igniter.
Amazon has dry moly but the prices I've seen are double what I've seen quoted in the forum here.

You need another hobby Tony, this one is clearly not active enough for you ! Or get one of those stoves we read about in here where people have to tweak them if somebody opened a door in the house. Hey maybe take up fly fishing and tying , you join me in obsessing over hundreds and hundreds of fly patterns that essentially all catch fish when I already know what ones I tie and work for me reliably !! I.E. there is always a better mouse trap out there someplace !!

Last edited:
Reactions: F4jock
Ok fellow Harmies...
I get the hint...cabin fever can strike in many different ways. I'll be ok..;em
btw: I Actually do get a noise once in a while but not enough times to worry about it. prob a stubborn pellet that makes the Auger Groan a bit.
Harman curse!! They pretty much don't give ya anything to do except clean em...
Actually have some applications out there for part time jobs....
What you ask? Fixin stuff of course...

Last edited:
Ok fellow Harmies...
I get the hint...cabin fever can strike in many different ways. I'll be ok..;em
btw: I Actually do get a noise once in a while but not enough times to worry about it. prob a stubborn pellet that makes the Auger Groan a bit.
Harman curse!! They pretty much don't give ya anything to do except clean em...
Actually have some applications out there for part time jobs....
What you ask? Fixin stuff of course...
Tony - Take a look at my Avatar. Be inspired. Evert time I start messing around with stuff that don't need messing with I go and play slap and tickle with my better half. May I suggest that is a great way to burn off excess energy.

Tony - Take a look at my Avatar. Be inspired. Evert time I start messing around with stuff that don't need messing with I go and play slap and tickle with my better half. May I suggest that is a great way to burn off excess energy.
Avatar...Thanks.. could think of more than slap and tickle but that's nother story..

I've had the Harman squeal a few times. Cleaning the fines box and running the stove at max temp for a half hour has always "cured the squeal" for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.