Harman Combustion Blower Replaced - Stove wont stay lit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chop888

Feb 28, 2017
medway
Hello guys,
So this is my first time posting and looking to get some insight before I proceed further. Girlfriends pellet stove started making a louder sound when running. I looked at the blowers and it was the combustion motor making the noise. Bearing issue. She has an older Harmon P61 manual ignite. I looked up the motor and I purchased one model 3-21-08639 and also a blower fan 3-20-502221. Both are for the P61. No problem replacing it tested it and seemed to function fine but didn't ignite it due to it was 70 outside. She started it the other day and I seemed to work great but somewhere in the night flame went out. Same the next night also. I will have to go over and look at it some more but she reports back that the blower is running and there is pellets in the hopper.

Is there any issue with replacing this motor that might cause a problem. Could it not be compatible with a older model P61? Maybe there could be another issue but that was the only thing I replaced and it was working before the replacement.

I am aware I may have not have given out enough information I will report back more once I get over there and look at the stove. Just wanted to know if anyone else has had issue with the replacement. Thanks

I would rule out simple components first ... deep clean stove and venting, dollar bill test and replace door/ash pan/hopper gaskets (as appropriate), clean up ESP probe, check vacuum switch/line/port. Any blink codes? I am sure other Harman owners will chime in...

Something to think about if those do not improve the situation ... potentiometers on the dials on the board do fail over time. They are an inexpensive fix if you are handy with a soldering iron.

Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: rona
I would rule out simple components first ... deep clean stove and venting, dollar bill test and replace door/ash pan/hopper gaskets (as appropriate), clean up ESP probe, check vacuum switch/line/port. Any blink codes? I am sure other Harman owners will chime in...

Something to think about if those do not improve the situation ... potentiometers on the dials on the board do fail over time. They are an inexpensive fix if you are handy with a soldering iron.

Welcome to the forum!

I will try some of those things this weekend. I have also suspected the pot at other times. I will look into that also. Are they soldered directly into the board or connected by wires? And where would I buy just a pot for the stove? Thanks

I think the pots can be sourced on ebay ... try a forum search with Harman and pots or potentiometer. Brunners bits-n-pieces seems to be unresponsive lately so look for other sources. They are soldered in so if you don't have the skill, take it to a computer or electronics repair. There are board services out there too that can do the repair for you. Here's a couple, there are more...
http://pelletstovecontrollerrepair.com/
http://www.api-assembled.com/support/support.htm

Board manufacturer but not sure if they do repair...
http://www.infitec.com/contact_information

Reading another thread and poster mentioned he sprayed the knob stem with contact cleaner, frequently turning after each spray.

Reactions: rona
Spraying with contact cleaner is a long shot and rarely works or works for any period of time. The reason they fail is due to the wear of the internal contacts due to low quality materials.
Extended life versions with higher quality internals are available and reduce the risk of long-term board damage from excessive soldering. The ultra long life ones are what I recently put on my board.

Reactions: Harmanizer
Spraying with contact cleaner is a long shot and rarely works or works for any period of time. The reason they fail is due to the wear of the internal contacts due to low quality materials.
Extended life versions with higher quality internals are available and reduce the risk of long-term board damage from excessive soldering. The ultra long life ones are what I recently put on my board.
Mind if I ask where you got those pots. Now that I have 2 harmans I should Probs have some pots on hand

Another reason to use a thermostat on a Harman, no playing with potentiometers once they are set up, just control it from thermostat. Highest wear part on those stoves are the plastic pots, especially if moved on a daily basis.

I wonder if stove is experiencing pellet bridging in the hopper so auger can't feed pellets and fire goes out. Also check feeder box to see if it's full of fines, that could limit feeder door travel and pellet flow.

Reactions: Harmanizer