Harman controls question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jman87

Sep 21, 2014
New Hampshire
I sound like a broken record (I know most of you know I own a Harmon P68 by now) lol

I've read a couple threads and I still don't quite understand how when the pellet stove is in "stove temp" mode the dial with temps work.

I know it has settings, I think 1-7 and those are what the stove reads when it's in that mode, not the temps on the dial.

So if my stove is on setting 7 let's say, how would my stove be warmer than if it were on setting 4?

How does it all work?

Thanks guys, so thankful I'm on a forum like this, you guys are always awesome and please forgive me for my silly questions as I am certainly a learning newbie!

In stove temp the stove only cares about the temp you set 1-7 let's say you set it at 4 it will maintain that number 4 temp no matter what the room temp is it coul be 90 degrees in your room and the stove will keep heating to that number 4 temp

Reactions: Jman87
In stove temp all you need to do is pick the number 1-7 on temp dial that is most comfortable to you and it will constantly maintain that temp

Gotcha, thank you! :)

One of the reasons I run it in stove temp is because my house doesn't retain heat all that well so I'm fearful I'd go through igniters..

Is this a solid concern?

I think the igniter is a part that can go bad but harmans can be manually lit until you get a new one so for me I just use what I like the best and don't really worry about it.

You could run it in room temp mode and set the ignitor to manual. When the room temp gets above set temp it will go into a low maintenance burn. Once the temp drops it will kick up again without using the ignitor or even having to warm back up.

I have used room temp the most so far.i think the new igniters are pretty good heard some say theirs was was 5 years old or more so if your stove is new I wouldn't worry about the igniter so much.but if your still concerned about it you can use room temp flip the igniter switch to manuall and it won't shut down.it will give you a more constant temp running on the thermostat rather than stove temp.when you get to your set temp it will go into a low burn then when your house cools it will ramp up to keep your set temp.try it you might like it.when you switch to manuall though to relight the stove after shutting it down you will have to flip the switch to auto after it lights flip back to manuall so the stove won't shut down

I run my stove in Stove Temp - the numbers are just 'relative'... I haven't figured out what the exact temperature differences actually are. It hasn't been all that cold yet, but, once the weather really gets kicking in and your stove in on 24/7, the numbers will all make much more sense.

The one thing will you like about Stove Temp is that (after the weather gets cold and your stove is just on 24/7) is that you'll be able to better judge how much 'time' you have left before your hopper runs out. With your stove and hopper, you'll have NO problem filling it at night / before you leave for work and find it humming away nicely just as you left you the night / morning before! THAT is just the beauty of having spent so much on the stoves we have.

Reactions: Big papa
X2 Once it gets cold I'll be switching to stove temp

Yep, it's new :)

Okay, I like the idea of it going into a low maintenance burn rather than shutting off completely and then kicking back on.

Thanks guys! I'm definitely glad I went with a Harman, the thing is a mini furnace!

X2 Once it gets cold I'll be switching to stove temp
If this winter is like last winter... and the temps really drop... all of our stoves will simply be on 24/7 regardless of stove or room temp :) Either way, we'll be sucking through several bags per day!

Yep, it's new :)

Okay, I like the idea of it going into a low maintenance burn rather than shutting off completely and then kicking back on.

Thanks guys! I'm definitely glad I went with a Harman, the thing is a mini furnace!
That's my reasoning for using Stove Temp... when my 2,300 sq. ft. house gets too warm, I just turn the stove off (in weather like this now) - I don't like turning the stove on and off constantly. (and on Stove Temp 1, my house doesn't get terribly warm that often lol)

Reactions: Jman87
I run it off the harman thermostat

I think people are still confused regarding stove temp. The ambient temp or temperature in your room, attic, basement or wherever you have your stove does not affect stove temp. Therefore, when temps drop your stove will not react any differently in the heat it puts out. The only thing the stove will do is feed pellets at a rate to maintain the setting on the dial as monitored by the ESP. If temps drop and your stove holds the course via ESP monitoring, your room temperatures will drop.

Exactly what Phoenix said. Stove temp is monitored by esp only.

Got it but was explaining how room temp worked thought he might like it in manuall for a more constant temp sorry if I explained incirrectly

You all have explained it perfectly and I was able to put all the pieces together!

I'm going to try both ways when it gets cooler out, see which one works best for my situation. I'll report back.

Thanks again guys and happy burning no matter which mode you have it set one :) lol

That's one of the great things about the Harman stoves. They give you the flexibility to run them anyway you want. Very flexible and easy to use.

When I ran 2 stoves....my XXV in the basment ran on stove temp around 5-6. Then my insert in the main room upstairs ran in room temp...with the igniter in manual. When it was cold outside and was running 24/7 that was the best way that worked for me.

Basically the stove temp mode puts out constant btus and room temp maintains a constant temperature. So in stove temp 7 you would be getting maximum stove output no matter what the room temperature is. In room temp 7 (90 degrees) the stove would start to shut down when the room reaches 90 degrees but in stove temp the room temperature could go way above that if it was warm outside.
Ron

Reactions: Phoenix Hatchling
Status
Not open for further replies.