Harman hopper defies gravity...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rhanauer

Apr 18, 2019
Oxford, MA
First season with Harman insert (Accentra 52i -TC). I love it (now that I'm familiar with the various burn options), except for one annoying issue. She'll shut down with "check fuel" error well before the hopper is empty, with 20-30 pounds left on sides of hopper that didn't fall into the auger opening in the middle. I have to push them toward the center, or add a full bag, to get her running again. I found a 2014 thread on this issue (now closed), so others have reported it. Suggestions were to try different pellet brands (I use Wood & Sons which burn very hot but pellets are in short pieces relative to others I've used). Another was the spray or paint graphite or some such lube on sides of hopper. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks & Happy Holidays!

I have had the same issue with my Englander. I let the stove run until the hopper is empty and then I use wax paper to "polish" the sides of the hopper. It has always worked for me. Some guys on here use the graphite spray and others use the shiny tape used to tape ducts.

Reactions: rhanauer
Had a similar issue with my p43. I sanded and polished the inside of the hopper and finished with a couple coats of paste wax. No more problems.

Had the same problem with my P61a a few years back. Was the pellets. Changed pellets, haven't had the problem since. Been running Somersets almost exclusively the last couple of years, maybe a handful of pellets at most left in hopper if I run it out. I've never done anything to the hopper.

I had that happen a few times with EZ Blaze pellets, never had it happen with other pellets. No idea if true, but I'm thinking the pine pellets are 'sticky'...kinda like how pine sap is sticky. I used the wax paper rubbed on the hopper method to help. Haven't had the problem with any other pellets, hard or soft.

I use Wood &Sons, Vermonts and Northern Warmth Supreme Firs in my P61 and have the same issues . I think when the hopper is empty this time I'm going to polish up the insides with scotch brite, that worked on my Lopi.

Spray graphite worked for me. John deere brand. Make sure you use the type that dries dry not tacky. Thet make both. Jd brand came from a jd dealer and is the dry type.

Sand down the hopper then wax, you may also consider sifting your pellets.

We had this discussion, as you say, some time ago...
I sanded the sloped areas of the hopper with 220 sandpaper..
in the direction of flow, you don't "really" have to do the vertical sides
(but I did) and then finished it with some 400 just to make it even smoother..
then applied a couple of coats of paste auto wax.
Well worth the few minutes it takes to do this!!!

As a side note, it does appear that many have similar issues when burning the White Pine pellets.
I use them, do not have any issues.. When you do an occasional shut down to clean,
just wipe the dust off the hopper interior, and give it another waxing..
It's just not a difficult job, that nets good results....

Dan

Reactions: rhanauer and johneh
Thanks, all! I ran the stove till empty (coaxing pellets to the center 3-4 times) and cleaned hopper well. Sanding didn’t seem needed as the sides felt pretty smooth. I then waxed it with Mother’s paste wax. After polishing, I refilled it and immediately noticed that the pellets slid down faster. I’m hopeful this will alleviate the issue, and if so I’ll repeat the process as needed, if not, I may try graphite spray and/or switch to hardwood pellets. Here’s to a warm New Years!

Last edited:
Reactions: BackDoc
Waxing helped but not perfect, still leaving about 15 pounds if I don’t push pellets towards the middle.

Interesting, thanks for the tip. Are you a car detailer by any chance? I may try it (on the Harman, & maybe on my car too, lol). I found the same size (75 ml/2.54 fl oz) on Amazon for $9.99. Do you find it reduces hopper friction better than carnauba wax, or is it just longer lasting? Another idea would be to take my guitar over and play some blues to bring the pellets down...

Not a detailer no, just tried some to see....haven't tried carnauba wax as this was the first thing I used...

In have not heard of this problem around here, but we also do not have soft wood pellets available that I know of.

Reactions: Ssyko
i never worry about it i fill it up before it runs out. lol

Reactions: johneh