Harman P series - Sticky buildup on inside of ash door?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else with a Harman P series stove have a sticky buildup on the inside of the ash door? I have always had a slight buildup and wonder if I should replace the ash door gasket.
I have ash on mine(p61). I can't say that its sticky. I can say that if your gasket is leaking it should be noticable when you open the ash door. Where the gasket leaks the ash will be wiped clean so to speak. Look for a clean trail from the gasket inward. There may be several. I changed my gasket yesterday and this morning all those areas are filled in with a tan film of ash. So it is sealing now. I changed out the original 3/8 gasket for 1/2 inch. My stove is new only installed a week ago this past sat. So worth a look. I fist found the leaks by running a butane lighter flame around my door edges. The ash door along the bottom sucked flame right in. Opened the door and there was an eyebrow of clean door there where the leak was.

Status
Not open for further replies.