Harman p35i auger vibration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

prh7270

Dec 16, 2018
manheim, pa
I have seen a similar post a few years back.. I am having some vibration on my p35i stove during the auger run. It only happens about 20% of the time.. Just enough to be annoying. I can deal with all the other p35i noises, but this one bugs me.. Anyone had a similar experience... Thanks.
See the attached video, if you can access it..

Reactions: geck77
Check your plates and flame guide. I had that noise once in one of mine. I stripped everything down, did a complete clean, and made sure everything was tight. Never heard it again.

Check your plates and flame guide. I had that noise once in one of mine. I stripped everything down, did a complete clean, and made sure everything was tight. Never heard it again.

Thanks, that sounds like a good place to start.. I get the flame guide, when you refer to the plates.. Not sure what you are referencing.. The stuff that is part of the flame guide ? Thanks again for your help..

I had very similar with my harman insert. Based on some advice from other threads I did two things that have made my unit near silent on auger noise.
1. I soaked about two cups of pellets in liquid wrench with "cerflon" lubricant. When the hopper was empty, I ran those saturated pellets through and followed it with half a bag of pellets.
2. After that I ran the other half bag of pellets and I dumped in a half a quart of dry powdered graphite (available for $19 a quart at amazon)

It really was night and day difference. No binding or catching or grinding.

Reactions: VintageGal
Thanks, that sounds like a good place to start.. I get the flame guide, when you refer to the plates.. Not sure what you are referencing.. The stuff that is part of the flame guide ? Thanks again for your help..
The triangular side plate that you remove when cleaning.

I have seen a similar post a few years back.. I am having some vibration on my p35i stove during the auger run. It only happens about 20% of the time.. Just enough to be annoying. I can deal with all the other p35i noises, but this one bugs me.. Anyone had a similar experience... Thanks.

I sometimes get an auger feed sound which is a high pitched whine. The graphite pellets help. That said, the sound on your video may be a bearing grinding as opposed to an impacted piece of hard pellet in the auger feed. So if the liquid wrench and graphite doesn't work you may need a new auger motor.

Thanks for everyone’s help. I reseated the burn plates, and checked everything else. So far so good, but it’s far to early to declare success. I will update later.

Reactions: fmsm
How was the liquid wrench different from the graphite powder?
Liquid wrench seems to be more of a solvent which may help break down some of the carbon deposits. The graphite is simply a dry lubricant, so less penetrating ability

Short lived success... Vibration is back.. I will take another look at the plates.. Since it is still under warranty, time to talk to the local dealer.. Thanks

Thanks to the post from fmsm for pointing us in the right direction. My local dealer was quite interested in solving the problem, especially after seeing my video. They contacted Harman, then sent a tech to the house. After pulling the auger, and replacing the auger motor, we removed the flame guide extension. That was what finally stopped the noise. Since we can not leave it out, I put some fiberglass gasket behind the two points where it contacts the heat exchanger plate, and the cast flame guide. Just reseating it did not work for me.
The dealer mentioned that the flame guide extension has been a recent addition to the stove. They are going to continue to work with Harman, I will update the post if they come up with anything.
In the mean time, my stove is much quieter, just the normal pellet stove noises.

Thanks again for the help and advice..

Reactions: fmsm

If you haven’t found the problem yet. Mine was doing the same. It was just the ash pan cover vibrating.

Thanks to the post from fmsm for pointing us in the right direction. My local dealer was quite interested in solving the problem, especially after seeing my video. They contacted Harman, then sent a tech to the house. After pulling the auger, and replacing the auger motor, we removed the flame guide extension. That was what finally stopped the noise. Since we can not leave it out, I put some fiberglass gasket behind the two points where it contacts the heat exchanger plate, and the cast flame guide. Just reseating it did not work for me.
The dealer mentioned that the flame guide extension has been a recent addition to the stove. They are going to continue to work with Harman, I will update the post if they come up with anything.
In the mean time, my stove is much quieter, just the normal pellet stove noises.

Thanks again for the help and advice..
I have the same issue as your video and the installers have been here several times and cannot figure out. Yet they have not replaced anything on my stove. Has your issue came back? thanks

Just had a brand new p35i installed and am experiencing this issue. I have a message out to the dealer but also hoping it's something I might be able to fix myself. I'm hearing mixed things on the powdered graphite... did anyone have true success with silencing it?

Update!!
After chatting with my dealer, I stuck a piece of stove gasket where the top of the flame plate extension meets the back panel of the stove and voila! Noise is gone! Not the ideal solution because this seems like it should be an easy thing to fix with the stove design, but for now the sound is gone. Hope this can help others! The next time I take that piece off to clean I can snap a picture if anyone would find that helpful.
To recap, I had exactly the same noise coming from my p35i after installation as the video posted at the beginning of this thread. With the above solution, the noise is gone.

Update!!
After chatting with my dealer, I stuck a piece of stove gasket where the top of the flame plate extension meets the back panel of the stove and voila! Noise is gone! Not the ideal solution because this seems like it should be an easy thing to fix with the stove design, but for now the sound is gone. Hope this can help others! The next time I take that piece off to clean I can snap a picture if anyone would find that helpful.
To recap, I had exactly the same noise coming from my p35i after installation as the video posted at the beginning of this thread. With the above solution, the noise is gone.

Thank you for coming back with your results. I think it would be nice if you would post a picture for future readers of this post.

Update!!
Here is what it looks like... just a tucked in gasket behind the plate.

20230310_093612.jpg

Thank you. I was wondering what the flame plate extension was, now I know.

I had the same issue w/ vibration rattling sound during auger run in my new p35i. I followed the solution posted above by "chechme." That is, I tucked a piece of gasket behind the flame extension plate. Problem solved! No more vibration rattling sound.
Thank you all for the posts and the solution!