Harman p35i cleaning brush

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bbc557ci

Dec 25, 2007
Central NY State
Hi all... I want to clean the stainless steel chimney that vents my Harman p35i insert. I'm not sure what size or type of brush to get. I think it would be either a 3 or 4 inch brush, is that correct? Thanks for input on this!!

A 3in or a 4 is correct. You have to decide
if you have a 3in pipe or a 4 in pipe
Others will jump in with different cleaning brush types.

Yeah, I should pull the stove out and check the diameter of the liner. When I pulled the stove out a few weeks ago the liner looked to be 3 or 4 inches in diameter, but I didn't measure it. Looking on line I've seen brushes that resemble weed whacker type heads with about a dozen or so "strings" that can be trimmed to size, and used with a drill. That's what I'm thinking of getting, but am open to suggestions from folks with more pellet stove experience than I have.

I pulled the stove out a couple of weeks ago for some cleaning because now and then I'd been noticing a very light fog like coating on a few plastic items in the house, like my reading glasses, also on a plastic peanut butter jar. I bought this house about a year ago. In a previous house I heated with wood, but this is my 1st experience with a pellet stove, and figured the chimney or liner size would be standard, or specific to the stove. Live & learn!! I have no clue when the liner was last cleaned, plus I'm wondering if there might be a leak at the docking gasket. When I had the stove pulled out the gasket appeared compressed, kind of squished unevenly. I have a new gasket on order and I'll put that in place when I clean the chimney.

Thank you for the input!