Harman P43 making odd noises....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

joeljjk11

Oct 13, 2015
MA
For about a week now my Harman P43 has been making odd noises. It makes a constant whistling noise and also makes a loud helicopter type noise that lasts for about 10-15 seconds then goes away. My pellet stove guy looked at it and was not sure what it was so did not replace anything. He thought there could be a pellet jammed in one of the fans that is causing it. I feel like it has something to do with the combustion blower but I really do not know. Anyone have any idea what it could be? Thanks!

I would bet your exhaust motor has developed some end play, and when stove calls for high speed, it moves out or in and is touching/scraping on the stove or the cover.

Reactions: Washed-Up
I would bet your exhaust motor has developed some end play, and when stove calls for high speed, it moves out or in and is touching/scraping on the stove or the cover.
Any idea on how to fix this or does the exhaust motor need to be replaced?

What year is your stove, I’ll look up which exhaust/combustion motor you have. The older ones have 2 blades and a cast cage on the outer fan

On the back of the hopper you’ll see a plate that has the test date on it, I’ve circled it in red in the photo

6130011C-7CCC-4D96-843B-BAB62CC5487D.jpeg

Ok yours should look like the photo below. With the stove off, you should be able to spin the blade to see if it’s contacting the cage and also see if there is any end play in the shaft.

20AEBB11-E42C-48E3-A37C-8729414CDED9.jpeg