Harman P43 problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

salt & battery

Dec 20, 2015
new york
My P43 will light up then go into shutdown if there is a slight wind. Even with no wind it would not run that long. So I disconnected the low pressure vacuum switch and jumped the two wires to complete the circuit. Stove works perfect. So I ordered a new switch put it in same thing with stove going into shutdown had to jump past it again. I have cleaned the stove numerous times did not matter. Had to get a a new control board last year so I figure that cant be the problem. Pipes are clean air flap on the back is free. Does any one know what the problem can be?

Good morning, Some ideas.... Hopper gasket, no small pellets keeping it open a little, door gaskets leaking, Fines box cover not on correctly.. seems like you are losing vacuum or not enough to trip the switch..The air/vacuum sensor/port in hopper clean...Weak combustion motor. What does the fire look like ??

Reactions: Harmanizer
gaskets seem fine look new. ash pan door tight. fine box clean hooked on the top and tight. combustion motor sounds the same as when new. fire is a little lazy and leans forward instead of straight up

Both doors should be checked with a "dollar bill" for tightness, when closed.. should be resistance when pulling.. How old is this stove..?

Reactions: bags
When is the last time you cleaned out the igniter compartment of ash, scraped the burn pot of speed bump carbon build up and cleaned the air holes in the pot ? When you say it ran perfect with the switch jumped out, was the flame still leaning then as well or no ?

You changed the switch but did you clean the passage to the switch and check the hose for cracks ?

Just for the record, any time my flame leans in my P61 I've cleaned the pot and igniter compartment and all is well again. Not saying that is your problem but worth a check.

Last edited:
Reactions: bags
When is the last time you cleaned out the igniter compartment of ash, scraped the burn pot of speed bump carbon build up and cleaned the air holes in the pot ? When you say it ran perfect with the switch jumped out, was the flame still leaning then as well or no ?

You changed the switch but did you clean the passage to the switch and check the hose for cracks ?

Just for the record, any time my flame leans in my P61 I've cleaned the pot and igniter compartment and all is well again. Not saying that is your problem but worth a check.
I looked up every way to clean the stove and did it all. Stove was so clean I did the leaf vacuum trick and hardy anything came out. stove is 4 years old and needed a control board. repair guy did it did not know how easy it was. what do you mean clean the passage to the switch? when I changed the switch I blew thru the hose but did not check for a crack. cleaned fine dust under the pot taking off the cover and I always did that along with every thing in the manual and what I learned here

I looked up every way to clean the stove and did it all. Stove was so clean I did the leaf vacuum trick and hardy anything came out. stove is 4 years old and needed a control board. repair guy did it did not know how easy it was. what do you mean clean the passage to the switch? when I changed the switch I blew thru the hose but did not check for a crack. cleaned fine dust under the pot taking off the cover and I always did that along with every thing in the manual and what I learned here
If you could blow through that hose, that is the passage I meant, it leads to the exhaust pathway. And if you could blow through it then it's clear.

So did the flame still lean with the switch jumped out ( I would suspect so) ?

If you could blow through that hose, that is the passage I meant, it leads to the exhaust pathway. And if you could blow through it then it's clear.

So did the flame still lean with the switch jumped out ( I would suspect so) ?
Being I was able to blow thru the tube I hope it wasn't because there is a hole in it but I cant see how that can happen. Yes flame still seems to lean forward except for when it lights up then it looks perfect. being it is not so cold I have it as low as it can go on stove temp. so the flame is small. what do you think would make the flame lean forward?

check the air inlet valve is not blocked or obstructed

Being I was able to blow thru the tube I hope it wasn't because there is a hole in it but I cant see how that can happen. Yes flame still seems to lean forward except for when it lights up then it looks perfect. being it is not so cold I have it as low as it can go on stove temp. so the flame is small. what do you think would make the flame lean forward?
Well having it as low as it can go means the flame is probably behind teh flame guide and has to lean forward to clear it. have you tried ramping the stove up to see how it burns then ( as an experiment) ?

The hose that goes to the switch, if to go bad, usually splits/cracks.

Last edited:
Yup, crank it up and see how it goes. Flame should follow flame guide even on low and be "perky".. Originally you said it goes into shutdown mode. But with sensor jumped it stays running correct ??

Last edited:
when I crank it up to start it the flame goes forward and blackens the glass. I am just glad I can use it being I would like a repair guy to put the tester on it but cant even get them to call me back except once and he never followed up on it

when I crank it up to start it the flame goes forward and blackens the glass. I am just glad I can use it being I would like a repair guy to put the tester on it but cant even get them to call me back except once and he never followed up on it
What you are describing is lack of air. That happens for any number reasons discussed above.

You said you cleaned everything, did you remove the hatch that resides behind the ash pan and clean that entire passage way ?

What you are describing is lack of air. That happens for any number reasons discussed above.

You said you cleaned everything, did you remove the hatch that resides behind the ash pan and clean that entire passage way ?
Yes I vacuumed it and tried to see in as far as I could. you mean the hatch next to the motor that swings up right? what can I inspect or clean ( do not know what I could have left out lol) that would allow more air in?

Yes I vacuumed it and tried to see in as far as I could. you mean the hatch next to the motor that swings up right? what can I inspect or clean ( do not know what I could have left out lol) that would allow more air in?
Do you have an OAK installed ? Sometimes animals make a nest in those . Or the intake screen gets clogged. Something is blocked someplace or you have an air leak someplace. Last year despite regular cleanings, I found for the first time, some air holes blocked with carbon on the burn pot and burning pellets I'd never expect it from.

I would pull the ESP, remove the hatch behind the ash pan ( the one with the release lever holding it in, there is only one like that in a P series stove) and run a brush through there right out the back end. In my experience a vacuum hose doesn't make it in there far enough.. I brush that out two to three times a year, though sometimes I just knock the ash out and into the T if I know my vertical ( 23 ft of vertical) isn't ready for cleaning yet). To do that I tie a rag onto my brush rods with no brush and run it through a few times. my T has a pretty good capacity to hold ash down in the cap. Or I can open the cap and let the ash drop out into a plastic trash bag..

Last edited:
you mean the hatch next to the motor that swings up right
check if it opens unrestricted

I do not have outside air. I replaced the ESP no change. pipes are sealed and always clean actually in 4 years they never got anything but a light coat of dust. wonder if I should try to vacuum out the air flap on the left side. it swings freely but I never looked into it when I checked it

Reactions: bogieb
I do not have outside air. I replaced the ESP no change. pipes are sealed and always clean actually in 4 years they never got anything but a light coat of dust. wonder if I should try to vacuum out the air flap on the left side. it swings freely but I never looked into it when I checked it
Have you tried running the stove with the OAK pipe disconnected at the stove ? Is the OAK a new or old feature for you ?

Edit: oops, I read it that you did have outside air kit, my mistake !! LOL

Last edited:
Something is not quite right, as we already know.. Starving for air or blockage.. What is the exhaust set up ?

Reactions: alternativeheat
Always worth a try. Never know what might have gotten sucked in, especially since you don't have an OAK set up. Might be enough junk in there to impede air flow to the fire.

Always worth a try. Never know what might have gotten sucked in, especially since you don't have an OAK set up. Might be enough junk in there to impede air flow to the fire.
I will try that being it seems that is all that is left lol. I have a goose neck pipe set up where 1 foot piece out of the wall with 45 elbow 3 foot straight pipe 30 degree elbow with a hood piece

I found a mouse nest in another stove brands air intake:(

Reactions: bogieb
I will try that being it seems that is all that is left lol. I have a goose neck pipe set up where 1 foot piece out of the wall with 45 elbow 3 foot straight pipe 30 degree elbow with a hood piece
There is another thing possible, is the combustion fan running up to speed ? Starts and stops normal, doesn't sound draggy or bogged down ?

Also run a extension cord from the other side of the house and plug stove into that to rule out supply power

Status
Not open for further replies.