Harman P43 Without ESP Probe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kevin1024

Aug 31, 2016
WOOD
Trying to troubleshoot a low flame height even on a feed rate of 6. My unit is underpowered so I have the temp all the way up but not a great flame height. Stove is newer and just cleaned. At times, it seems the flame is ok and gets up there but mostly only about 4 inches or so. Can I run it in room temp mode without the esp since I never get to the required temp anyway since I'm underpowered? Even on 6, my pellets are a good 2.5 inches away from spilling off the front. Shouldn't I be getting a good 6 inch flame consistently with pellets getting close to the front of burn pot and falling off? I'm seeing a lot of fluctuation in flame height which tells me the esp is hard at work and not sure why when I have the temp all the way up on 6 feed. Can I try using it without the probe?

Last edited:
I doubt very much you can run your stove without the ESP probe connected as it provides the information to the board that allows the board to make decisions based on the temp of the exhaust

Reactions: bags
Check to make sure your ROOM sensing probe is plugged all the way in on the back of your stove and it is in a good location. I had a buddy with a new Accentra and he was having similar issues. Once I plugged the room probe all the way in it worked great.

Reactions: bogieb
I had the same experience as Bags' buddy - My P61a room probe was knocked loose at the back of the stove and it went into idle mode. Doesn't matter what temp or feed rate you have it set at if the stove doesn't' know what the room temp is. It is just being considerate by not shutting down completely.

Check to make sure your ROOM sensing probe is plugged all the way in on the back of your stove and it is in a good location. I had a buddy with a new Accentra and he was having similar issues. Once I plugged the room probe all the way in it worked great.

My gut tells me it is something with the probe because I have a magnetic thermometer on the side that drops in temp by 40 or so degrees and then kicks back up a few minutes later without any changing of settings. Does anyone know if the probe can be put on wrong? I have the red plugged in the left and the black on the right.

This could be a reach but this unit is new and on the tip of the probe is a black plastic/rubber piece covering the probe. Does this need to be removed? It's on there pretty good but didn't know if it's just there to protect the tip. It's the part that goes into the room.

That rubber piece belongs there - do not remove it.

Red is on the right (looking from the back of the stove) and black is on the left for my P43, but is the opposite for the P61a, so it may not make a difference.

Sorry for hijacking here but I have more info. I unplugged and replugged the probe in the back. And what I am now noticing is when I'm on a feed rate of 6, in the beginning of my burn, yes the pellets are close to spilling off the front with a high flame. However, 15 or so minutes into the burn, the spillover stops and the pellets are deeper into the burnpot even on 6. And I haven't touched any settings. And of course, my flame height is significantly lower. And my temp setting is maxed out. Thoughts?

Where is the tip of your room probe located?

Where is the tip of your room probe located?
It's about 3 ft to the right near a drafty window. There's no way it's reading 90 degrees which is what I have it set at. I'm definitely undersized with the p43 for my house.

I suppose you could try changing the spade connectors for the room probe around and see if that makes a difference. Don't think it will, but you never know. Make sure they are really jammed on there too - seated, they should be dang near impossible to take off if my P43 is any indication.

Try running it in stove mode to rule out room probe issue. If flame doesn't get larger cranked up in this mode the ESP might be questionable.

Any blinking status lights in current mode, like maybe #4?

Try running it in stove mode to rule out room probe issue. If flame doesn't get larger cranked up in this mode the ESP might be questionable.

Any blinking status lights in current mode, like maybe #4?
No blinking lights. I switched to stove mode and the flame seems a bit higher.

My p61 is all over the place, I just gave it a thorough cleaning including removing and cleaning the ESP which was new late last season. Some times I get a burn about 2 inches back and sometimes 1/2" back. Same pellet and feed rate between 3 and 4.5. All that said, I'm wondering if the room probe is bad? How do I test it?

My p61 is all over the place, I just gave it a thorough cleaning including removing and cleaning the ESP which was new late last season. Some times I get a burn about 2 inches back and sometimes 1/2" back. Same pellet and feed rate between 3 and 4.5. All that said, I'm wondering if the room probe is bad? How do I test it?

With the stove lit and running in room/auto, place the tip of the probe right above the hot stove. Stove should go into shut down after a couple minutes (It won't right away). Move the probe back to its usual place (with stove running or with it off) then try placing a bag of frozen vegetables or ice on the probe. Flames should surge after a minute or two (or stove should start itself up). If those two things work, then it is all a matter of placement and/or figuring out where to set the desired temp as it relates to actual room temp.

I haven't played the placement game but it is in the same location it has been for the past 5 years. I haven't had this problem in the past.

Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't there 2 modes for running a P43, stove temp manual setting which runs off feed rate & ESP (exhaust sensor probe) or room temp ( room temp probe)?? Why not use stove temp ,manual mode & crank it up..?

True for a 43 and also a 61. The flaky feed issue is what I'm trying to diagnose, I'm wondering if the room temp probe could be the cause. Might try the other route also, for the sake of research.

So I tried the placement game and with it close to the stove I got 4 blinks (bad room temp sensor). Shut off and returned it to the normal location, Ran without blinking. Tried back above stove, 4 blinks. Put it back and put the stove in stove mode. Guess I need a new sensor.

So I tried the placement game and with it close to the stove I got 4 blinks (bad room temp sensor). Shut off and returned it to the normal location, Ran without blinking. Tried back above stove, 4 blinks. Put it back and put the stove in stove mode. Guess I need a new sensor.

I was actually just think about it being a room temp sensor just before getting on the forum this morning. Figure that is the best bet.

Just as an aside - when my P61a's room temp sensor gut jostled from the back of the stove, there were absolutely no blinks, it was just luck that I figured it out. So, the fact that you got it to give the 4 blinks at all would, to me, seal the deal in your thinking.

It's running pretty well in stove mode. I don't think I'll hurry to the dealer and get a new room sensor. Just bought a half ton so I can wait a bit. I'll update as soon as I get one.

Updates! Two days later I got a new room sensor. It ran okay until last weekend. ESP died. Temp was single digits. Went and bought one Saturday 1/7 in the morning. Stove running okay. Last night Control board failed and distribution blower wouldn't run. Now nothing and ESP light blinks. Not a happy or warm camper at this point. I think I'm going to new style board and ESP as it will be cheaper than old style.

With so many issues, I would check and make sure your outlet is good and wired correctly. If you have it plugged into a surge protector/UPS, that might be going south and allowing surges which may be messing with your stove's electronics.