Harman p61-2 will not ignite

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marsha Cook

Nov 17, 2013
NH
I let my fire go out and did a little cleaning. I did not touch the ESP. As background, my auto igniter has not been working so I have been doing the annual start. I put it in test and all motors started up.

My burn pot is clean. I put in a few pellets, put starter gel on them. Put a few more pellets in the pot and put gel on them. The stove is turned off.

I light the gel with a match . All looks good, door is open. I turn on the stove, close the door. The fire goes out. I have done this several times with some modifications but the result is the same.

What stupid thing am I doing wrong? How hard can it be to light pellets?

Can you hear the combustion blower working?

Yes, the blower comes on, the status light is not blinking either

Got a propain torch? Make your pile of pellets and stick the torch into the pile and when the pellets have a ball of glowing pellets the size of a walnut or so remove and shut the door an should start from that ball just like a igniter.

I use the same technique a propane torch. I've never had good success with gel.

I use the same technique a propane torch. I've never had good success with gel.
A good clean pot can blow out the fire :)

Ah yes, the dreaded "by the manual" manual ignition method. NOPE!

Add your gel, mix into pellet pile, turn stove on, light pellets, LEAVE DOOR OPEN AN INCH OR SO, wait a couple minutes, close door.

Went to HD, got a torch. Used it and thought, same result! It looked like the fire had gone out again. Nothing visible . Now I was reading a book and did not want to get up so I forgot about it. Few minutes later I heard a rubble and the fire was off and running!

Guess I need to be more patient. Thanks for your help.

I've practiced manual starts with all our stoves. Hate to experiment late at night and -20 :)
Glad to hear your back to enjoying Harman heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.