Harman P61 to a P61A conversion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rickwai

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2011
ohio
Got all the parts in finally and got it put together today. Doing a test burn now with diag tool hooked up. I am thinking of flipping it just haven't decided what it is worth. I will have to check Marketplace and Ebay to see where I should start.
6A537A63-4500-40B6-AB53-932C2B4611B0.jpeg

Nice looking stove bro! I’ve seen them on our local market place for 1800-2500, and they sell. I don’t bother with Craigslist anymore to much scamming.

Nice looking stove bro! I’ve seen them on our local market place for 1800-2500, and they sell. I don’t bother with Craigslist anymore to much scamming.
I looked at Craigslist yesterday, not much on there. I think everybody quit it. The last time I listed something on there I got like 5 offers with in the first 5 minutes (scams). I just put it up on Marketplace for $1550.00. I can make a few bucks and see how it goes. Now is not the best time to sell either. We will see.. I guess if someone is looking for a good deal, I have one :)

Nicely done, hopefully you get what you want for it!

Reactions: Ssyko
Maybe I should buy it so I can experience the Harman issues too... Will it roast corn?

No, you need a St Croix to efficiently do that :)

No, you need a St Croix to efficiently do that :)
I checked out your ad on Facebook Marketplace. You need to edit it. You mis spelled the word 'quiet'. You have 'quite'..... :eek:

There are quite a few biomass units on there. I responded to one pretty close to me, another 6039-41 with a 4 button board that looks to be in fairly good shape. He's asking 700 which is a bit high, especially if it needs a new board. I'll look at it and check it out as I know them inside and out. There is another Harman on there as well for quite a bit less than your are asking but I don't know beans about them. It has an analog control board, something I don't particularly like. I prefer electronic controls because I can alter the parameter algorithms to suit my situations'

Lots of clunkers on there as well. Pretty easy to tell the abused from the not abused units just by looking at the pictures.

Could be a nice hobby, reconditioning used units, but if I do that, I'll stick to what I know.

Got another call from the outfit in Toledo that asked me if I wanted to become a service person for them. I'm not interested. If I'm gonna get grubby, it will be for me, not them. Besides, I don't need employment, have plenty enough stuff around here to keep me entertained...

I looked at Craigslist yesterday, not much on there. I think everybody quit it. The last time I listed something on there I got like 5 offers with in the first 5 minutes (scams). I just put it up on Marketplace for $1550.00. I can make a few bucks and see how it goes. Now is not the best time to sell either. We will see.. I guess if someone is looking for a good deal, I have one :)
$1550 isn't a deal for a used refurb unit, least in my view it isn't but then someone not familiar with bio-mass stoves, it could be....lol

Maybe I should buy it so I can experience the Harman issues too... Will it roast corn?
Yes, a P series Harman is rated to burn up to a 50/50 corn, pellet mix. I personally haven't tried it.

I run a much stiffer ration than that with my 6039-41. 3 parts corn to one part pellets but pellets only for the clinker issue. I can run 100% corn if I want to but the clinkers are an ever present issue.

$1550 isn't a deal for a used refurb unit, least in my view it isn't but then someone not familiar with bio-mass stoves, it could be....lol
Well I guess you dont know the Harman market. It sold for full price in less than 24 hrs. The guy was tickled pink and drove from 3 hrs away to get it.
With a Harman you dont have to be a engineer to run it. You can literally let it go for extended periods of time and it will just chug away. The only thing I do with my P43 is a quick 10 seconds scrape on the burn pot maybe once per week and wipe the glass off when it happens to be in a shutdown mode and not hot. Once the ash pan fills which is after 25-40 bags I shut it down and sweep it out (1/2 hr.) turn it back on to auto set at 70F and it pushes on for another month.
I installed a Harman Accentra FS for my parents maybe 8 yrs ago and the same thing. Mom calls me once see has gone thru a skid of Somerset pellets. I go over and pull the plates and covers off and clean it up. She scrapes the burnpot the best she can in between. When I stop over I always give it a look and scrape on the fly if needed. They burn 3 skids per winter and we have been on this schedule for many years now.
Some people like the ability to tinker and adjust. Harman is not for that person.
In my opinion they are a good value and are built to last and worth rebuilding when they get to that point. And you get the best of both worlds, A fully automatic stove that dont break the bank when it needs replacement parts. Name another fully automatic stove that you can replace all the controls and sensors for a little over $300? It sure is not a Mt. Vernon AE :)

Yes, a P series Harman is rated to burn up to a 50/50 corn, pellet mix. I personally haven't tried it.
Harman does not burn corn well at all. It was designed to be a pellet burner. If have a cheap source of corn and want to burn 100% corn get a St Croix. You can pick up used ones for $500. No messing around mixing pellets. I have run over 60,000 lbs. of 100% corn thru mine still on original motors and board.

I checked out your ad on Facebook Marketplace. You need to edit it. You mis spelled the word 'quiet'. You have 'quite'..... :eek:

There are quite a few biomass units on there. I responded to one pretty close to me, another 6039-41 with a 4 button board that looks to be in fairly good shape. He's asking 700 which is a bit high, especially if it needs a new board. I'll look at it and check it out as I know them inside and out. There is another Harman on there as well for quite a bit less than your are asking but I don't know beans about them. It has an analog control board, something I don't particularly like. I prefer electronic controls because I can alter the parameter algorithms to suit my situations'

Lots of clunkers on there as well. Pretty easy to tell the abused from the not abused units just by looking at the pictures.

Could be a nice hobby, reconditioning used units, but if I do that, I'll stick to what I know.

Got another call from the outfit in Toledo that asked me if I wanted to become a service person for them. I'm not interested. If I'm gonna get grubby, it will be for me, not them. Besides, I don't need employment, have plenty enough stuff around here to keep me entertained...
DCD93813-4204-49B9-8E5C-96230981B4A2.jpeg

Thats what it looked like when i got it. Took a little elbow grease. Buy it was fun in my well lit heated shop

Looks a bit 'neglected' You are correct. I don't 'know' the Harman market'. Don't want to actually. Glad you got your money out of it. Springfield is a bit far for me to drive anyway.

Looks a bit 'neglected' You are correct. I don't 'know' the Harman market'. Don't want to actually. Glad you got your money out of it. Springfield is a bit far for me to drive anyway.
:)

I got the best of both world, a Harman that requires minimal attention and a St. Croix that I have to tend to with dropping the clinker every 1.5 days and brushing the glass off. But the cost savings using field corn is worth it.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Harman does not burn corn well at all. It was designed to be a pellet burner. If have a cheap source of corn and want to burn 100% corn get a St Croix. You can pick up used ones for $500. No messing around mixing pellets. I have run over 60,000 lbs. of 100% corn thru mine still on original motors and board.
Only reason I mix in pellets is the clinker issue. My unit will happily run straight corn but I don't want to build a clinker pot like Pete uses so pellets mitigate the clinker issue. In fact my unit will combust any biomass, wheat stubble, switchgrass, hay, cherry pits or pellets and the algorithms are easily adjustable. I haven't a clue how mu8ch fuel has been through mine in 20 years. Don't much care in reality because other than a ton of pellets, the rest is free.