Harman P61A bearing noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

P51mustang

Burning Hunk
Jan 7, 2014
Upstate, NY
Good afternoon,

P61A Harman owner here. I just completed my first start up of the 2021-22 heating season and noticed the combustion motor seems very loud. As anyone who owns a Harman can attest, Harman's are not the quietest stoves to begin with and once the combustion motor and/or bearing wear out, they can be real annoying.

In January 2017 I replaced the combustion motor, rod, and fan blade with the Harman factory replacements for the same reason. So I was expecting it was probably about time for yet another replacement when I fired up today. However, before I do so, I'm wondering if anyone can suggest if there's a lubricant i can use to lubricate the bearing (where I suspect the noise is coming from) to make the motor a little more quiet. I know the bearing is a sealed bearing so I'm probably wasting my time but thought I could experiment before I replace it. Thoughts, suggestions?

One other thing, I recall many years ago a member posted that there are better, more durable and smoother brands of bearings than the Harman factory replacement that do-it-yourselfer's can install on the motor itself (assuming I can remove the set screw on the fan blade and thus pull the rod through without cutting it off). Anyone remember this or know of what I'm talking about?

Any help anyone can provide would be most appreciated. Thank you and happy heating folks.

I’ve been there with my P61-2, 3 in one oils takes care of it, if it’s the old style 2 fan, ther are bearings on each side that need to be lubricated.
If you decide to rebuild, these are the bearings that have a better seal

NSK 608ZZC3​

Radial/Deep Groove Ball Bearing - Round Bore, 8 mm ID, 22 mm OD, 7 mm Width, Double Sealed, C0 Internal Clearance​

Could you post a photo of your combustion motor

Actually, with a little patience and a sharp blade or an Xacto knife, you can pop the shield on a bearing and lubricate it internally. I do it all the time, one, because I'm cheap and two because I really dislike noisy bearings. When you pop the shield you can apply oil (I use motor oil) and you can pop the shield right back in again. In 20 years, I've never replaced s skater bearing in a motor that came with them. I have replaced sleeve bearings with skate bearings however.

The people that build the drives are getting smarter and using skate bearings instead of sleeve bearings today... Good deal.

Reactions: Washed-Up
So as far as the shied popping suggestion, I assume I can do that with the motor and thus bearing connected and hooked up to the stove correct? Just with the power disconnected.....And squirt a little motor oil inside the bearing once the shield is removed?

Exactly…just a few drops at the shaft and outer area of the dust shield on the bearings

Easier out on a bench but I assume it's doable without removing. Me, I'd remove it and bench it and clean the chamber at the same time.