Harman P68 - 3 years old

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I agree, having both modes is great with a Harman. I run 100% in stove mode because my furnace blower is set up to recirculate the air (60-70% on, cycling). If I ran room temp it’d be ramping up and down inefficiently as the cooler air was entering the room, or not. Temperature mode is the worst for that set up. Outside air temperature swings are fairly low (15 deg usually) so I adjust the stove temp setting twice a day.

Run what works best for your set up and not somebody else’s.

I agree, having both modes is great with a Harman. I run 100% in stove mode because my furnace blower is set up to recirculate the air (60-70% on, cycling). If I ran room temp it’d be ramping up and down inefficiently as the cooler air was entering the room, or not. Temperature mode is the worst for that set up. Outside air temperature swings are fairly low (15 deg usually) so I adjust the stove temp setting twice a day.

Run what works best for your set up and not somebody else’s.

I tried & tried to use room temp when I first got the stove, noticed I used way more pellets than I did with my Whitfield, so I use stove temp unless our electric is out.

Note: If the pellet stove was my only means of heat, I too would run in room temp!

I use about 5 tons per year in my P-68. So your usage is in line. I run Room Temp and have an OAK.

Reactions: Mt Bob
Note: If the pellet stove was my only means of heat, I too would run in room temp!

Definitely - if a heating system is running and the pellet stove is in temperature mode, you have two automated systems trying to control one variable - they'll be unable to work together, and usually clash/work against each other. With only one system you run it in automatic temperature control mode.

I like this zero degree weather, as I can experiment with how to set up my heating systems for best operation. We replaced our 60 yo windows throughout the house this year so the heating pattern has changed due to less heat loss. For now I've settled on Stove Temp 1.5, and furnace on 72F. Furnace still kicks on and helps warm the basement (Harman is on 1st floor) but the main living/dining area is warmer. Running my furnace is fine as natural gas is quite cheap now.

Reactions: THE ROOSTER
Definitely - if a heating system is running and the pellet stove is in temperature mode, you have two automated systems trying to control one variable - they'll be unable to work together, and usually clash/work against each other. With only one system you run it in automatic temperature control mode.

I like this zero degree weather, as I can experiment with how to set up my heating systems for best operation. We replaced our 60 yo windows throughout the house this year so the heating pattern has changed due to less heat loss. For now I've settled on Stove Temp 1.5, and furnace on 72F. Furnace still kicks on and helps warm the basement (Harman is on 1st floor) but the main living/dining area is warmer. Running my furnace is fine as natural gas is quite cheap now.

Last night I burned on 3 with feed rate of 4, it was 8*F outside this morning and 74*F inside...