Harman P68 annoying squeal, fixed, not sure how?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XJma

Burning Hunk
Oct 28, 2012
NH
About 5am this morning I heard an annoying squealing noise all the way upstairs in my bed, and I'm not a light sleeper. Duration coincided with the duration that the auger motor runs, and frequency, so I knew what it was before my eyes opened. Not wanting to be annoyed any longer I just shut the thing down, and just got to doing some figuring now.

Emptied hopper, thought something might be stuck in auger....can't see it. I do have a missing pocket knife and a 2 year old so my first thought was the kershaw was being ground into the auger. Well, I can't see it so not sure. Vacuumed hopper out, no change.

Seemed to be coming from the gear box that drives the auger shaft. Didn't feel like ripping it apart so I WD40 the shaft, no change. My stove has direct vent right behind it, it's in a corner, and the air intake flex was disconnected, so I metal duct taped that together. The motor that is right below the intake had the fins all clogged and I cleaned that up, also there is a sensor?? above the intake that has two halves, and they were not together, so I put them together and will order a new one. Wiggled the gear box, unscrewed the gear box but decided not do a full tear down tonight, plugged it back in and it is quiet again.

Problem solved? Maybe? Wishful thinking me thinks.

Can anyone tell me about that sensor above the intake?? It was like a two piece diaphram, hard plastic, no idea how long it's been busted.

My guess is that I should tear down the gearbox and grease it up. Is there a kit I can get to replace the bearings, there was a slight amount of play but nothing that I would expect to cause an issue for such a low speed gear box.

Posting this not only with the hopes of getting some feedback but also to help those with the same problem in the future, maybe, hopefully. I searched and did some reading but was not pointed in any solid direction.

It could be gearbox on the auger but I would want to rule out any bearings that might be worn and benefited from that shot of WD40. Haven't seen any kits for the gearbox on Harman posts...

That "sensor" is probably your vacuum switch. Surprised your stove is running with a busted vac switch. I have not seen a rebuild kit for the Harman Auger motor. The motor and gearbox come as a complete kit(correct me if wrong)

I'd bet it's the " Harman squeal", my P61 does the same thing in this season with lower burns and lot's of starting and stopping. Usually a good hot burn will get rid of it. It's creosote and or carbon built up on the end of the auger. Others have named it the Harman Squeal, not me, I'm just repeating the information. But once we get going into the full heating season and hotter burns my P61 doesn't do it .

I'd bet it's the " Harman squeal", my P61 does the same thing in this season with lower burns and lot's of starting and stopping. Usually a good hot burn will get rid of it. It's creosote and or carbon built up on the end of the auger. Others have named it the Harman Squeal, not me, I'm just repeating the information. But once we get going into the full heating season and hotter burns my P61 doesn't do it .

Oh, I've got the harman squeel before and a cleaning of the firebox end of the auger fixed it. I believe this was different. Louder this time, and cleaning it up didn't help.

The auger motor was running fine. How much is the gearbox/motor combo. Maybe get a new one, grease it up good, and fix this one up for a spare?

Yes, that part does look like a vacuum switch, but it's split in half!! The stove runs great.....it's a tank!! I have no idea how long the intake hose was off for.....probably a year or more as I don't go over to that side to clean it if I don't need to. Would I be incorrect to assume that replacing that vac switch will increase my efficiency??

thanx!

Again surprised it's running and feeding pellets with a broken vacuum switch unless the diaphram is not leaking. Usually the "squeal" is from the auger. You can try running on super hot for a while, adding powered graphite to the pellets, cleaning the auger fire pot end. I usually add graphite and run it hot and thats been solving my "squeal". However lastly, the auger motor itself could "squeal'..No rebuild kit I've seen. I'd look up part # and get a replacement if needed. Also, you could empty hopper, empty auger assy, disconnect the auger from the auger motor and spin the auger by hand and see..

It did quiet down and still it quiet. I have had sqeek from the auger at the burn pot before, but I don't think that was the case this time. It's going to warm up for a few days so I will rip apart the gear box apart and grease it up, as I'm thinking that spraying the WD, while it didn't fix it right away, after a bunch of rotations it worked it's way in there and did it's job. Working theory, I will let you all know how it turns out!

Status
Not open for further replies.