Harman P68 feeds to slow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fototek

Dec 29, 2017
New Hampshire
I just bought my brothers Harman P68 that has not been used for a few years. I cleaned the whole unit and installed. The unit fired up great but it does not put out as much heat as I expected. I turned up the pellet feed rate all the way to 6 and the pellets are completely burned 2 inches from the edge of the burn pot. I figured if it was on 6 the pellets should burn right up to the edge of the pot. The unit is set to max setting on Stove mode.

The main board was replaced on the unit 2 years ago.

O cant get a good picture with the door closed so I opened the door for the attached photo
p68.jpg

Actually, keeping the leading edge of the ash off of the lip of the burn pot can indicate a good burn. It is blowing the ashes out of the way and the pellets are (I assume) burning completely before they make it to the ash pan.

You should go more by if it is outputting the heat you want, burning pellets not going into the ash pan, and how the flame looks.

Pellet quality can be a big difference in heat output - which is measurable with an IR gun. There is a huge difference when I burn (cr*ppy) Maine's Choice pellets and when I burn middling pellets (which is what I normally burn). Harmon's WILL burn just about anything. But that doesn't mean it has to put out much heat if the burning materials are sub-par.

Now, if the flame quality is poor or won't rise in height with more fuel, then you would have a cleaning/set up issue but you didn't give any indication as to there being an issue with that.

Do you have the dial w/ temp turned all the way up? That dial is your feed dial in stove mode (inner numbers 1-6). Feed knob is dead in stove mode, it is max feed in stove mode.

Do you have the dial w/ temp turned all the way up? That dial is your feed dial in stove mode (inner numbers 1-6). Feed knob is dead in stove mode, it is max feed in stove mode.
I am guessing the potentiometer for the the temp was dirty. I turned the knob back and forth a bunch of times and then left it on 7 and now the stove is cranking out heat and ash is piled up one inch from the edge of the burn pot. I was actually able to take a picture with the door closed :)
burn.jpg

Reactions: bogieb
Running like that with a 68 you will melt the paint off of your walls. LOL! You may just want to run room temp auto with the fan all the way on and pick your set temp just to get used to the stove somewhat.

I rarely have ever ran stove temp. I actually never do anymore but messed with it some in the beginning. I run room temp at all times and mostly auto but will go room temp manual at times.

Reactions: Ssyko and bogieb
Looks good. Room temp is the way the go unless you have a old uninsulated house that will suck up any and all the heat you can throw at it!:ZZZ

Reactions: bogieb
Looks good. Room temp is the way the go unless you have a old uninsulated house that will suck up any and all the heat you can throw at it!:ZZZ
I have a 2700 sq foot open concept colonial built in 2001 by me. I was seeing if the stove would heat the house today at -4 and it did but I used 3 bags of pellets :)
I will try out room temp tomorrow but not sure I will like seeing the ugly wire.

Hi, did your slow feed rate ever return? I have 2 p43's. 1, is low burn all the time, the other does intermittently. Usually, after a cleaning. Tried replacing all components. Feed rate on max.

Pretty old thread, are you having problems with your P43’s???

Pretty old thread, are you having problems with your P43’s???
Yes, feed rate maxed and has low flame. Replaced both door gaskets, board, sensor etc. I just did a recent clean and then get the rumble for a few days. I feel I might have hopper seal leak. I have 2 43's, so I keep spare parts on hand. Previously, with feed too high it would push pellets over edge, Now on max feed ash line is deep in pot.

Sounds like you have a combustion aur issue, are you using an outside air kit and are the holes in the burnpot fully open and clear of carbon build up? Maybe start a new thread as this one may get passed over due to the age of it

After reading posts about the woofing (mine too) and burn pot design issues. I look at burn pots and realized that there's air passages behind the flange. So, i took a plastic wire tie and passed through holes, sprayed air through and vacuumed. Now. no more woofing and was able to set feed rate back between 3 to 4. Although, doing the same on my backup stove, no change.

Reactions: Washed-Up