Harman p68

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

capecod

Feb 22, 2008
"on Cape"
Ready to head over to the local dealer. Looking at the Harman p68. Any thoughts or concerns from Harman p68 owners?

I installed my P68 last November. It did a nice job. Being only 1 winter in with the stove, I really don't have any bad experience to report. I would buy one again without thinking twice.

Hi,
A couple of questions if you don't mind. I have a fireplace insert that burns wood, and it does NOT throw a lot of heat. Figured I would go for the biggest Harman. Did it throw a lot of heat for you? Also, NOT being mechanically inclined, did you have lots of issues with the Hp68?
Thanks,
CC

I got a p68 in Dec and love it. Tons of heat,easy to clean and looks great.
Only issue was some squeaking from some ash buildup on the auger
Other than that well worth the money :)

What would I expect to pay for one of these? I have spoke with two different places, both around $3,100. Anybody know of sales or cheaper places in the central Maine area?

The P-68 is worth the $$. I've had mine for 2 full winters and havent had any issue's with it. Actually I've upgraded to the PB105 boiler, which should be installed next week.

Whatever you do don't undersize your stove for the size of your home. I use premuim pellets and have good luck with them.

VTJake

3100 isnt bad. I paid 4100 which included the stove,ton of NEWP brown,Delivery and placement and the nickel trim and stone inlay
Pricey but well worth it since oil was 3.92 and then 4.17 per gal

hi capecod and pelletierry.

the prices you have been quoted for a P68 are normal. when i went looking at the harmons, i was looking at the P38, and was given a price of 1800 and change with tax...a couple of days after i went to the dealer, he called me and asked if i was interested in used. he informed me that the stove was a trade in for a larger(P68) model as this was to small for the previous owners home.he told me the stove was only a couple of months old, had not yet burned a ton of pellets, and the warranty was transferable. i asked him what his price was and he said he would let it go for 300 less than new.

i went over to look at the stove,wich looked VERY nice.i told the dealer what i had for a home ( 1967 mobile home w/ 16 x 40 addition) and drew a picture of layout and how the stove would be positioned.the dealer told me if that stove would not heat my home and keep the furnace from starting, he would buy it back for the same money he sold it to me...needless to say, the stove still sits in my living room, patiently waiting for next winter. i went back and bought the $50 t- stat and the home stayed at 70 deg. plus/minus 3 degrees for the remainder of the winter.

i bought this stove at the end of feb. early march and was burning around a bag of pellets per day maybe a little more. i dont know what to expect on harsh cold days , but if i go thru 2 bags a day it is better than burning oil. i am only heating 1100 sq. feet and figure i will only need approx. 3 ton of pellets, but i will buy 4 just to be on the safe side.

just my honest opion, and 2 cents worth, but i hope this will help in your decions and wish you the best of luck.anything is better than paying the arabs 4 plus dollars a gallon for their oil.

mike

I am new to the site and have not figured out how to get a question posted. So forgive me for jumping in here. I am looking into a pellet stove. The Harman have great reviews. Does anyone know of the Bixby maxifire? I was told by a sales person they are tedious to keep clean.....contradicting what I've read about minimal maintance?

Hi,

I just registered and am gathering as much info as possible on the P-68. This forum is great & so informational.

I am planning on buying a P-68 in the next few weeks. I recieved a quote today and it will be $3294 for the stove and $4981 installed (w/o the $250 tax).
That includes trim kit, logs, slate plate, louver and a 48x48 flagstone hearth. It looks like the price I got is pretty much in line with what I see.

The rep said that the prices are going up in July, but will honor my quote until Aug. 1st (when they raise their prices).
I know that there is a farm fair in July & they discount the stoves about $200, so I am, waiting for that to buy it.

Any info anyone has for me as a new pellet stove owner is greatly appreciated.

I just picked up my P68 on Friday and it is just waiting to be installed by me when I have some time. I did alot or research and called just about every dealer in Maine and NH and really shoped for the best price. I ended up paying the $3294 because the place had the stove in stock ready for pickup the next day. What i heard from the rest of the dealers was many different things. Some dealers said i can order the P68 and it will be in by late August or early September another dealer said November and other dealers said dont count on getting one at all for this year. I think with the demand, alot of these dealers are quoting time frames on wishful thinking and are going to leave many of people waiting for their stoves to come in.

My other concern is that Harman has to now pump out these stoves more than ever before to meet this huge demand. i hope they hired more people and are really paying attention to their quality control program which appears to be a good one due to the quality of the stoves so far. When manufacturing is rushed sometimes quality suffers to produce numbers. Hopefully this will not be the case with Harman in the future.

Anyways I am just happy to have my P68 now.

Status
Not open for further replies.