Harman pc45 board going?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bob huehne

Dec 2, 2013
wisconsin
I have a question on my Harman pc45 wondering if anyone might have had this problem before.

First off here's everything I recently done to it I've completely cleaned the stove, I replace the ESP probe I put new rope around the ash pan and the main door, my air intake it's clean and free and so is the chimney.

Problem I'm having every once in awhile is the stove is like going to idle mode where it just idles the auger will push out pellets I end up with up with a big pot full of hot pellets and the main fan that blows out into the room does not kick in. I turn the stove off and back on then the fan kicks in and the fire goes back to normal. I got a normal hot flame after cleaning the stove and replacing the probe not a long lazy one like I had before but I'm wondering if the board is starting to go since it seems to get stuck in idle mode every now and then? Anyone have any input on this or have that problem before?

Reactions: Ssyko
I also replaced that fan a few years ago so it's not very old I doubt that fan is starting to fail already but I guess it's possible in my mind now I think it's probably more of a control board starting to go I don't know.

Bob, do you have the stove running on a surge protector?

Does it do the same thing in both Stove Temp and Room Temp modes? Have you run the self test are you getting any blink codes?

Does it do the same thing in both Stove Temp and Room Temp modes? Have you run the self test are you getting any blink codes?
Only ran in room temp mode. I can try the self test and check for codes and try stove temp mode too. It only does it once in a while so makes it hard to track down what's going on.

Could the potentiometer controls on the board may need to be cleaned with DeoxIT maybe..??

You have two or three knobs that you adjust to set your temps, off and on , Room temp or stove temp. They can get erratic and not do what you want. Try turning them back and forth several times with the stove off then try it again. If that doesn't work there is a cleaner that comes in a spray can that often will help. Pull the knob off and spray around it then turn the knob many times that has worked many times. It is called DEOXIT FaderF5 available on E Bay or Amazon cost about 15.00 .
If none of that works you can replace those controls for maybe 35.00 plus labor.

I think I'll order a can of that cleaner and give that a try I do believe it's board related. Thanks for your help, if that doesn't do it then I will look into replacing it.

go to your local auto parts store and get a can of CRC QD Electronic cleaner. use deoxit sparingly to lubricate after cleaning

Just thought I would reply and let everyone know what the problem was. Mostly poor pellets. I made the mistake of getting EasyHeat pellets from farm fleet 4 skids worth due to shortage of pellets at Menards. They burn like crap not hot enough. I got one skid of Marth brand from Menards and they burn fine stove returned to normal and house much warmer and burning less pellets. I usually get Indeck yes they are messy lot of ash but burn hot but the Marth are ok and working good. Now I got a basement full of EasyHeat garbage pellets to work with and one skid of good Marth pellets to use for when it's really cold.

Bob

Mix them in with you good ones. Gotta burn em :confused:
x2. I use multiple 5 gallon buckets with lids. 1/2 bucket of each kind. Bucket static helps remove fines.
First winter with this stove I too tried Easy Heats and Indeck pellets, from TSC. Almost froze to death! Absolute junk!
Found this forum and a local shop that had Lignetics and Hamers Hot Ones. We were saved!
Had a ton of Marth from Menards a couple years ago. Heard good things about Marth, not impressed. Low heat, lots of fines and ash. They were also bought out by Lignetics.
This years Lignetics burn good, good heat, lots of ash and they smell funny though.
This years Somersets burn real good, as usual, low ash(for a hardwood) and great heat. A very consistent, affordable pellet.
Also have used Cozi Heat pellets this year. Local company. Great heat! As good as Somersets. Burn pretty clean too. A little inconsistency between several tons. One had long pellets only, no fines with little dust. The second ton had smaller pellets, more fines and dusty. But still put out great heat! I'll definitely be using more of these. $225 ton makes these a good buy.

I had Marth in the past as well and also noticed they was lower heat but not as low as Easyheat they are almost no heat lol The Marth are great pellets compared to them. Left a completely honest and very poor review on farm fleets website 2 days ago they have yet to post it. Imagine that. lol