Harman PC45 newbie questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the-dude

Mar 30, 2014
mn/sd
Hi, I have been searching this forum for a few weeks and just recently picked up an older used but nice shape PC 45. I have a few questions (yes I did search and figured out other questions I had). I believe the previous/ original owner got screwed from the dealer (original stove was purchased aprox three years ago and only used for one season). Then the dealer when under shortly after his purchase......
I plan on using pellets my first year with up-to a maybe 50/50 blend with corn and see how I like it, might go all corn also not really sure yet.......

1. How do I figure out what model year my stove is? serial #5413. has the black wire sensing probe.

2. previous owner said be bought the pellet kit but I dont have the "pellet burn grate", the instructions, or ?? not sure what I am missing since Harman doesn't break-down the kit in the manual. All I have is the small and large hole combustion intakes, two burn grates small and large hole, two stir rods, two corn end plates and lock, one open end plate, three firebricks, no pellet instructions and the common broken "logs". Also I dont have the corn "top plate" but not sure if it was included with the stove or was to be purchased separately or even recommended ( I see some people use it and some dont).

3 I plan on using this for primary heat for next winter ( propane will be my back-up) and was wondering if there is anything the owners of this stove recommend purchasing or "mods"....

Thanks for any info!!

Last edited:
first off welcome to the forum
1 Your stove year or born on date should be stamped on your plate on the back of the hopper
2 here is a video I found of the PC 45
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available
3 I am sure Bioburner will chime in . He may be the most experienced multi fuel burner on this forum

Thanks!

The only date I see on the hopper says "Test date" March 1998, but I wasnt sure if that is right or not since the manual also has a picture of a ramdon stove's data plate and it also says March 1998, if this is true this is alot older than I had thought... tough to find good stoves around here, most for sale are the lower end used ones on craigslist.

Ok, I found another post in which bioburner says he uses the large hole corn grate with-out the agitator and with the open end plate and no top plate, to burn a pellet/corn combo.

Hopefully he will chime in here, just wondering what percentage of pellets/corn this is good for and what combustion plate being used?

Is the top plate really good for anything or is it kind a wash? (since I dont have it, is it worth buying?)

Is the wall thimble with the integrated OAK worth it? I would like a clean install without having two seperate holes drilled outside and plan on going straight out off the stove horizontally since the stove will be on the main floor.

I have the thimble on 2 stoves. Square hole in the wall but only 1 pipe that sticks out as I have a direct out. Fresh air intake is around the top portion of the thimble and only sticks out a little with a little flange pointing down over the exhaust pipe on top outside. It looks good inside and outside. Form and function with a purpose. Insulation was wrapped around the intake pipe to the stove to help with possible condensation.

I have the thimble on 2 stoves. Square hole in the wall but only 1 pipe that sticks out as I have a direct out. Fresh air intake is around the top portion of the thimble and only sticks out a little with a little flange pointing down over the exhaust pipe on top outside. It looks good inside and outside. Form and function with a purpose. Insulation was wrapped around the intake pipe to the stove to help with possible condensation.

Tony, did you buy that thimble or make it? I see three and four inch thimbles with the integrated intake start around $125+

I bought it. Hearth & Home Technologies Direct Vent Wall Pass through #1-00-677177. I don't remember the price off hand. Ironically I had the install instructions in a pile of papers and magazines next to my chair.

Morning shot of the stoves current pot setup for pellets and corn blend up to 50%. Feed rate set at 2 because currently burning 50% corn. At this blend no burn pot reflector plate or stirrer needed and they don't last long when burning corn as it gets pretty toasty. DSCN0388.JPG

Another sign of age is the door style and if the door handle is brass. Brass is older. You can call the Harman customer service in MN and they will get a date for you. The dealer in around Granite falls MN died and had sold stoves in a large area.

Another sign of age is the door style and if the door handle is brass. Brass is older. You can call the Harman customer service in MN and they will get a date for you. The dealer in around Granite falls MN died and had sold stoves in a large area.

Thanks for the picture bioburner!

The handle feels like wood.
Do you recommend buying the reflector or the pellet grate?
muv7rcj
n9sihsj

The squared mitered look door is a newer stove. The brass and or iron handle is at the hilt and the bulk of the handle is wood. The picture I posted for you is the large holed tray and is good for up to 50 percent corn and is being run with the small holed combustion fan plate. If you go more than 50 percent corn the small holed tray will be needed to keep enough heat in the pot and the reflector cover will be need too and the stirrer rod with the end plate to hold it. Corn has a ignition temp that's about 200 degrees higher then pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.