Harman PC45 small vs large hole exhaust plate with corn pellet mix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chadhumm

Jan 22, 2014
N. IL
Got a question regarding the different size exhaust fan plates. I'm hoping someone has tried them out with different fuel mixes. Harman makes the larger hole plate to turn the pc 45 into an alleged 45000 btu output stove vs the original small plate that it came with which is to be used for corn and a 40,000 btu output. At least those numbers are what I was told. Anyway I like the stove, I like my St croix auburn a little better just for the fact I get more heat out of less fuel because of the design. Its simple and very little can go wrong with it. I use the Harman however because of the convenience factor ..because of the igniter, which also adds the comfort factor.

Back to the question at hand. Large hole plate for pellets, small hole plate for corn. What is better for 50/50 mix ? or lets say 90% pellets 10 % corn mix? Or 90/10 corn/pellet mix? I would like to burn 100% corn but the Harman doesnt do as well with that as the St Croix Auburn. So I do a mix and it runs much better. I try to do close to 50/50 but the higher the pellet percentage the better it runs, so the mix tends to lean higher for the pellets. My exhaust when running the Harman gets much hotter than the exhaust on my st croix. I was wondering if using the large hole plate is leading to more heat loss through the exhaust. My draft readings are way too high on the Harman even with the "adjust screw" all the way to the left which is counter clockwise. I use a magnehelic gauge to determined this. Its far higher than what the manual suggests. Could this be due to the larger hole exhaust plate? Anyone else experience this? Because I have this happeneing I feel I am using more fuel than I have to and losing a lot out the exhaust pipe. It is VERY hot. If anyone can shed some light on this I would appreciate it.

I think I have a lengthy response to another thread you got on. The Upgrade is to get 50K out of the stove that's stated on the last two lines of the bulletin. Most stoves I have found start wasting heat out the flue when you get past 50% of rated btus. unless they have a good fan and its controlled by ESP like the Bixby. Harman needs to step up and get a better fan, not the wimpy 135cfm gerbil exercise wheel. Newer Control boards I am told now have more control of the draft. Mine too is high:(

Status
Not open for further replies.