Harman Pellet Pro II problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonrfarber

Nov 21, 2009
bangor,pa
I recently bought this unit used and it work fine for 2 months. Did not use for a week turned it on and feed motor would not feed, pushed shut down button and everything shut off no blowers running, pulled fuse and put back in everything works fine. As long as I let it run for about 30 mins. then pull out fuse and put it back will run fine, but will not run on its own at start up. (fuse is not blown any of times) Please help

the feed motor won't engage on startup until the ESP probe gets to 165 °F ( i love these new symbols, thanks Craig, you rule). SO you might just not have a big enough fire for initial start-up and when you get to it a second time you've got enough heat to make it go.

But as soon as I pull out the fuse and put it right back the feed motor kicks on and works normally, I thought it wasn't hot enough at first but let it burn for almost an hour and fire was in the throat almost going out.

that is peculiar. I can think of no "good" reason for that type of thing. I've actually never seen an old PP2, I'm just working off of experience with other Harman stoves.

I'll put my money on the circuitboard or daughterboard

I was thinking a board possibly also, but the guy I got it fromm had the boards and blowers replaced 3 yrs ago, would they fail so soon. Even the guy at the harman dealer was stumped.

thats a pretty old unit....3 years? why not? Thing is, you cant test those things.... and, very few, if any dealers I know of, stock the board.....would be a special order leap of faith! Have you replaced the fuse? Sometimes one end can be loose, causing intermittent issues....

jasonrfarber said:
But as soon as I pull out the fuse and put it right back the feed motor kicks on and works normally, I thought it wasn't hot enough at first but let it burn for almost an hour and fire was in the throat almost going out.

That might just be resetting the stove when you pull the fuse and then replace it.
I`d suspect the heat probe (in exhuast flue) needs a good cleaning.

its the probe reading incorrect exhaust temp

summit said:

or, the data board interpreting the results incorrectly, due to failure

Lousyweather said:
summit said:

or, the data board interpreting the results incorrectly, due to failure

maybe... but the probe is the least expensive part to try out 1st...

What I did now was unplug probe, remove and clean, and unplugged daughter board from mother board and plugged back in, all while stove is unplugged. Start fire stove works flawless just like it should, now I just need to narrow down from here.

jasonrfarber said:
What I did now was unplug probe, remove and clean, and unplugged daughter board from mother board and plugged back in, all while stove is unplugged. Start fire stove works flawless just like it should, now I just need to narrow down from here.

Well , it`s good that you managed to get it going . If the probe was in bad shape and really needed to be cleaned it was probably the culprit.

This time I just unplugged the stove and unplugged probe wiggled it around a little, and the stove worked fine. Do you think it is the probe or by unplugging stuff do you think the board is resetting?

Status
Not open for further replies.