harman pellet stove and insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

southgapeach

Hearth Supporter
Jul 12, 2010
South Georgia
Previously I had posted asking questions about pellet stoves/inserts in general. I think I have narrowed down my choices but have many questions. Since I am in South Georgia I have limited resources so hopefully ya'll can help me. I am building a 1600 sq. ft. cabin, only half of that is an open area - bedrooms are down a hall and in the back so I don't really expect the heat from pellet to get back there easily. Our main source of heat will be a heat pump. The units I am considering are the Harman XXV Pellet FS stove, the Quadrafire Castile FS stove or the new Harman P35i pellet insert which is so new it's not on their website yet. I want to know which of these units are suitable for the area I described above. What about the Harman thermistor probe vs. the Quadrafire thermostat? Would any of these "overpower" the 800 or so sq ft? I have a retailer within 40 miles that can install and service Harman and Quadrafire units although they admittedly haven't had that much experience with them. Thanks for all your help.

I cannot speak to the Quad, but both of those Harman units would be more than adequate for 800 sq ft. Seeing as you can control the output to whatever degree you'd like, neither is going to "overpower" you unless you want them to. The XXV would have the output capacity to heat 1600 sq ft if you wanted (take floor plan and airflow into consideration). The P35i might struggle to heat 1600 but would have no problems with 800 sq ft. Most of the mechanical parts on those machines are the same, and build quality will be the same, so your decision would likely be based on cost, or aesthetics, or usable space. All the general maintenance on those units can be done by you, no worries. I'd be happy to answer whatever questions I can about those units. Good Luck.

I saw or heard something about running a pellet stove at less than it's max capacity would cause it to have problems drawing and/or the windows smoking up. Is that true? One dealer told me the P35i couldn't be put in a fireplace that wasn't a masonary fireplace -- is that true? We were looking at a Quadrafire Mt. Vernon FS display and you could touch the top and sides and it wasn't hot. Is that the case with the XXV?

you can sit on top of the XXV whn its going... as to the controllability, the sensor setup allows the stove to automatically adjust feed based on heating needs (i.e. if its only making up a couple deg's difference, then it runs lower than if its making up a 10 deg diff). Harmans have a pretty good airwash system, so glass fogging is not an issue, usually.

the P35i will be able to be installed in a zero clearance application (non-masonry fireplace). If the stove is set up correctly, barring any misuse, you should be able to run at any setting you like without any adverse effects. as Summit mentioned, the airwash does a pretty solid job of keeping the glass clean.

southgapeach said:
I saw or heard something about running a pellet stove at less than it's max capacity would cause it to have problems drawing and/or the windows smoking up. Is that true?....

Actually, I would start to not listen to this dealer, as what he told you really isn't true. Yes, you can run the stove on high and and yes running on high will minimize the glass smoking up, but it's not recommended for more than an hour or two. Most people buy a unit that will heat their space running on low or medium, with the occasional high setting on really cold days. Seeing that your in Georgia, I doubt you'll have too many nights like that.

Also, his claim that the stove "won't draw well" on anything less than the high setting isn't true at all. Pellet stoves don't need any draw at all....they use a powered exhaust blower to send the exhaust out. The only time good draw is needed is if the power goes out.....then the draw is needed to send the remaining smoke up out of the pipe instead of into the room.

imacman said:
southgapeach said:
I saw or heard something about running a pellet stove at less than it's max capacity would cause it to have problems drawing and/or the windows smoking up. Is that true?....

Actually, I would start to not listen to this dealer, as what he told you really isn't true. Yes, you can run the stove on high and and yes running on high will minimize the glass smoking up, but it's not recommended for more than an hour or two. Most people buy a unit that will heat their space running on low or medium, with the occasional high setting on really cold days. Seeing that your in Georgia, I doubt you'll have too many nights like that.

Also, his claim that the stove "won't draw well" on anything less than the high setting isn't true at all. Pellet stoves don't need any draw at all....they use a powered exhaust blower to send the exhaust out. The only time good draw is needed is if the power goes out.....then the draw is needed to send the remaining smoke up out of the pipe instead of into the room.

x2

imacman said:
southgapeach said:

there are a few models requiring vertical vent/term, but nothing modern :) only one i can think of off the top of my head was the earthstove tp40 advantage was burning wood during poweroutages

A friend of mine uses an XXV for the upstairs portion of a raised ranch that hads had an addition built on. Large, vaulted ceiling living room that is front to back of the house that goes into a small kitchen with 1 room off of it, then a narrow hallway to 2 more bedrooms. Heats the large room annd kitchen quite well and does a decent job on the rest. Although it's true that the heat from these "space heaters" wont travel easily, it can be done. This in a home in Maine, you probably wont be dealing with as severe cold or long duration as she does.

Status
Not open for further replies.