Harman PF100 Auger "Clunk"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DougInMaine

Nov 19, 2012
I have what is probably an original Harman PF100. Within a few months of installation, I came to the conclusion that I knew more than the dealer (who did successfully install a replacement igniter). I've done all the cleanings, installed a new control board, added a remote programmable thermostat, and jury-rigged an automatic self-feeding system connected to a 3 ton pellet bag (proud of that one). Anyway, I feel more comfortable coming to this forum than working with the dealer.

The question: Each time the furnace's feed auger makes a rotation, there is a loud clunk sound. It's as if a rotating gear was missing a tooth. Not knowing what the deep internals look like, I can't figure out what is happening. Any thoughts or do I have to wait until the heating season is over and attempt a major tear-down?

Thank you!

Have you cleaned out the fine collection area on the side of the feeder? If that is clean the check that the arm that the auger motor moves up and down moves with little effort. If so pull auger moter by loosening set screw and rotate auger by hand to check that it turns smoothly. Then put stove into ignition with auger motor disconnected from aiger and check for smooth rotation of the motor. U should find the problem with these steps

No fines; this was recently thoroughly cleaned. However, I watched the assembly while it went through some cycles and noticed that the motor base moved each time the hopper door opened. There are only 2 8 mm hex head screws holding this in place. I tightened one but the other was stripped. A little Loctite seems to have done the trick. If this doesn't hold, I'll try some silicone-based gasket seal.

Thank you!