Harman still the one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MarkSJohnson

Oct 30, 2013
Coastal RI
I was active here several years ago before deciding on my first pellet stove, and now I'm looking again 10 years or so later for an insert this time.

I've searched, but didn't see what I was looking for before I asked.

Is Harman still pretty-much the go-to for reliability and satisfaction? I'm looking at the Accentra 52i. The price seems several thousand higher than I would have guessed; have stoves gone up substantially in the last few years since Covid/Inflation/Market issues? I was quoted about $5700 with installation here in coastal RI.

Have other manufacturers "caught up" to Harman in the last 10 years? Or, has Harman gone downhill? Other comparable insert manufacturers I should check out?

Thank you in advance!

Any of the North American stove makers (eg Harman, Enviro)
are expensive but you get what you pay for. Good stoves have gone up in price
My Envrio which cost 2400 in 2001 now costs close to 4500 installation extra
If you are handy you can install it yourself

I was active here several years ago before deciding on my first pellet stove, and now I'm looking again 10 years or so later for an insert this time.

I've searched, but didn't see what I was looking for before I asked.

Is Harman still pretty-much the go-to for reliability and satisfaction? I'm looking at the Accentra 52i. The price seems several thousand higher than I would have guessed; have stoves gone up substantially in the last few years since Covid/Inflation/Market issues? I was quoted about $5700 with installation here in coastal RI.

Have other manufacturers "caught up" to Harman in the last 10 years? Or, has Harman gone downhill? Other comparable insert manufacturers I should check out?

Thank you in advance!
The only two stoves I would purchase is Harman or Quadrafire. I have an Accentra insert and P-43. You get what you pay for is certainly true with these stoves. Only issue I’ve had is a bearing was going bad in the convection fan on the P-43 so the fan had to be replaced.

My stoves are 11 years old.

Reactions: MarkSJohnson
You in Concord, NH or RI? Regardless, that is a good price as far as I'm concerned. When I had the P61a installed in January of 2014, that was $4321.00 (with extended hopper which added $200).

While looking for the cost, found that the owner of the P43 bout it in 2012 for $2.529 - without install or an extended hopper.

And yes, prices went up over the last couple of years. Last year they had long lead times because of supply chain issues. Don't know if that is an issue now.

You in Concord, NH or RI? Regardless, that is a good price as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sorry, looking at my original post, I had a typo. I wrote: "I was quoted about $5700 with installation here in coastal RI." and I SHOULD have typed "I was quoted about $5700 WITHOUT installation here in coastal RI."

I had been living in NH, but have somewhat recently moved to RI. I'll change my SIG line! :)

Reactions: bogieb
If the pellet stove is > 75% efficient there's a federal tax credit on purchase and installation of 26% this year with no cap, 30% next year with a $2000 cap. Not all stoves, even from the high-end brands, qualify. The Quadrafire Santa Fe, for instance, is only rated at 67% efficiency (by the testing system the IRS requires for the rebate).

If the pellet stove is > 75% efficient there's a federal tax credit on purchase and installation of 26% this year with no cap, 30% next year with a $2000 cap. Not all stoves, even from the high-end brands, qualify. The Quadrafire Santa Fe, for instance, is only rated at 67% efficiency (by the testing system the IRS requires for the rebate).

Dang, that is good. When I bought the P61a, there was a cap of $300.

Harman inserts are the easiest to serviced in my opinion with the rail system. Any of the others that I have serviced have to be dragged out of the fire box unhooking liner and messing with the surround. Then you have to get it back in and all lined up to look good and piping hooked back up. Harmans are easily a 1 man job with service rails. The only thing I have found that I need help with is changing the dist. fan on a 35i. The screws go in from the bottom. So the stove has to be picked up and turned 180 degrees and set back on the rails.