Harman XXV - smoke odor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Completed a little more research tonight. Posted pictures below of the clean-out from the bottom with the cap in place, the cap its self, and the clean-out without the pipe in place. On the bottom of the last picture you can see where the fly ash goes all the way to the bottom of the pipe and is escaping.

Can anyone send pictures of the bottom of their clean-out taped?

I have considered buying a 4 inch cap and putting that over the entire pipe and attaching it with silicone - thoughts on that idea?

Attachments

• IMG_0297v1.jpg
    IMG_0297v1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_0292v1.jpg
    IMG_0292v1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_0294v1.jpg
    IMG_0294v1.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 187
Hmmmm...that doesn't look right to me. There should be a gasket or something between the cap and the T that will seal that when it is attached. You shouldn't have ash falling out like that.

I got the Selkirk Pellet Vent Pipe Vacuum Clean Out Pipe and installed that. Without silicone it still leaked smoke on start up. I put a fair amount of silicone in the cap and around the top as you can see in the picture. The silicone isn't pretty but this is in a closet so I am not worried. It leaks out of one spot now which I can see. Once the stove cools I will put another glob of silicone in there to stop that leak. Like others I am not happy to be doing this myself but the hassle of having the installer out constantly to work on this wasn't worth the cost of the part. Along with the great advice from you fine folks we are managing well.

Weather in the 30s this week...glad I have this figured out.

Attachments

• pellet.jpg
    pellet.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 151
  • pellet2.jpg
    pellet2.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 152
Status
Not open for further replies.