Harmon Absolute 43 not shutting down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jeff S.

Dec 24, 2017
Jordan, NY
My stove will not shut down unless I pull the plug. I noticed the room temp kept on rising past the set temp and wouldn't stop burning. So I tried shutting it down thru the TouchPad. Came back a half hour later and it was still burning hard. Any ideas on what the issue may be?

When’s the last time it’s had a deep clean? Could be the ESP

I think a prerequisite to posting should be to answer the question: Have you cleaned your ESP lately? If you answer "no" then you're not allowed to post your question. 😁

I purposefully didn't buy one with a touch screen, because I hoped with the analog knobs, I would have less issues. Not sure if that's really true or not...

Reactions: Washed-Up
I think a prerequisite to posting should be to answer the question: Have you cleaned your ESP lately? If you answer "no" then you're not allowed to post your question. 😁

I purposefully didn't buy one with a touch screen, because I hoped with the analog knobs, I would have less issues. Not sure if that's really true or not...

Yes I have "deep cleaned" the stove about 2 weeks ago. Usually once a ton. Empty ash pan as prompted on interface and clean burn pot about every other day. I'm pretty anal about it. Had stove about 5 years now. Just telling wife I'm kinda sick of the electronics on this and other things. Considering going back to wood.
Now, as far as the problem, since I last posted I opened the door and scraped the burn pot and got the ash that was hanging on the sides down in the ash pan. It did shut down after about 30 minutes. Gonna go and fire it up again. Tomorrow I'll "deep clean" again and see how it reacts. I'll report back....

Yes I have "deep cleaned" the stove about 2 weeks ago. Usually once a ton. Empty ash pan as prompted on interface and clean burn pot about every other day. I'm pretty anal about it. Had stove about 5 years now. Just telling wife I'm kinda sick of the electronics on this and other things. Considering going back to wood.
Now, as far as the problem, since I last posted I opened the door and scraped the burn pot and got the ash that was hanging on the sides down in the ash pan. It did shut down after about 30 minutes. Gonna go and fire it up again. Tomorrow I'll "deep clean" again and see how it reacts. I'll report back....
When you "deep clean" do you take the ESP out of the stove and wipe it off? I wasn't doing that because I thought it was some fragile thing that would break if I looked at it, and I figured like a new car it required a PhD in electrical engineering and a $75 tool and a propane torch to remove it. Then I found a screw back there and said "oh, I bet it's this!"

Cleaning the ESP on my XXV has seemed to help when I have times that the stove doesn't shut down.
If I have an evening that it doesn't appear that it's going to shut down before we head for bed, I open the hopper lid and leave it open. The feed auger doesn't run with an open lid (switch in its motor circuit) so the stove dies from no pellets feeding. Don't know if the Absolute 43 is similar with an open lid condition, but worth a try.

No issues with mine