Harmon Accentra Making High pitch sounds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cheseapeke

Hearth Supporter
Mar 14, 2007
I currently have a Harmon Accentra pellet insert. It makes a high pitched (like ringing in the ear sound) not constantly, but on and off and not in any paticular pattern. The dealer has been out twice, hasn't any clue as to what it is. I did not have this problem for the last two seasons. Sometimes its so loud I can hear it throughout the house. Any ideas?

Does it sound like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbhwYgSbYlY
This is more of a squeal.

If it is a high pitch kinda like a dog whistle, it could be a vacuum leak somewhere make sure your hopper is closed gaskets are good and the slide plate access cover is closed and the gasket is good also. If you are using outside air could be a pinhole leak in the intake hose?

No, it doesn't sound quite like that its more like when you have tintinitus in your ear. And when it is happening it is pretty steady. I don't hear right this moment but it was awful earlier today. Somtimes I think I'm just getting used to hearing it.

OOPS! We do not have an outside air intake on this. The dealer put it in, so I assume we don't need it in our situation.

I have a Harmon XXV that made an awful squeal. It would literally wake you from a sleep. The dealer put a new auger in due to multiple areas with significant rust spots that apparently causing the squeal as the auger turned and the rust scraped. When the auger was changed the sound went away. Good luck.

PDK9 said:
I have a Harmon XXV that made an awful squeal. It would literally wake you from a sleep. The dealer put a new auger in due to multiple areas with significant rust spots that apparently causing the squeal as the auger turned and the rust scraped. When the auger was changed the sound went away. Good luck.
Where on the auger was the rust?

cheseapeke said:
No, it doesn't sound quite like that its more like when you have tintinitus in your ear. And when it is happening it is pretty steady. I don't hear right this moment but it was awful earlier today. Somtimes I think I'm just getting used to hearing it.

i wouldnt rule out a singing bearing on a blower, does the noise phase in as the unit heats up? or as the room fan comes on, does it change frequency when the heat or blower range is changed??

No, I keep it on the same setting for most of the time. So the fan/blower is constantly going. I really can't tell when it is worse. It's singing to me right now. It may stop for a while this afternoon. It is suppose to warm up today so I"ll be sure to pay attention as the unit may slow down as the room temp goes up.

GVA said:
PDK9 said:
Where on the auger was the rust?
My memory may be mistaken but I thought the biggest spot was on the base of the auger. It was about 3/4 of an inch in size. There were others.

Status
Not open for further replies.