Harmon p43 with cyberpower 1500 battery backup.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cristiansmom

Jul 17, 2008
Rhode Island
So I purchased a cyberpower 1500 sine battery backup for my new Harmon p43. Do I just plug the battery back up into my wall outlet and plug the stove into any of the plugs on the battery backup? I'm going to test it but is it supposed to just automatically shut the stove down if the power goes out??

Can you return it? It's Lead Acid Battery in there #1. It's only rated for 10 min max on their web site. I doubt your stove will get that (Higher Wattage). Unless you can hook up other batteries it's going to run it until it dies and then the Harmon will shut off. If you got this to stop smoke, it's not going to do much good at 2am unless you wake up and turn your stove off.

I use AIMS 1250 with couple of 100ah Batteries for 12 hours of run time. But I want heat, not shutdown. My stove does not have smoke problem. Test your stove, pull power and see what happens.

I would run it this way. Surge Suppressor, UPS, then Stove.

IMG_20210119_064818105.jpg

Yes I got it to stop smoke just in case because we had that issue with a stove years ago... I bought this one as it was recommended that it would shut down the stove if the power went out.... I can return it I got it at Best buy but is there one that I could get that would automatically shut the stove down or will I always have to wake up and shut it off?

Harmon Dealer can recommend one. https://www.harmanstoves.com/shopping-tools/blog/winter-storm-outage-no-problem This is outdated pretty sure. I personally would get one I could add couple of 100ah batteries. If your not comfortable with changing stuff on the motherboard. I prefer Inverter/Charger personally so you don't have to keep charging the batteries. Won't do much good when you need it if not charged. Get one that does the battery you guy. If you go Lithium or think later you will go that route.

Reactions: Ssyko
The way the P43 will work when connected to a UPS is to cycle the fan on and off until it reads the temp in the stove is low enough to shut off the stove (fire out). If the battery is too small, the power will give out before the fire has diminished enough to stop creating smoke.
I have the same setup as Dataman as at the time 2 years ago I was working, wife is home, has mobility issues and wanted something that keeps the stove running in a power outage. I'm retired now but still like the fact the stove will keep running if power goes out overnight. It's not cheap, they weren't cheap 2 years ago, inverter/charger is now $538 was $475 then, batteries still about $180 ea. You could only use 1 battery, would run the stove for 5+ hours.

Sam

Reactions: Ssyko
I tested my Harman P43 on my Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD that I used previously with my Englander. The pure sine was good enough that my Harman did not go into shutdown mode and continued to run as if nothing happened which is what I wanted. Also, I got way more than 10 minutes. When I simulated the power outage by unplugging the UPS from the wall the stove ran for 35 minutes and was still going strong when I ended the test by plugging the UPS back into the outlet. The display on the Cyberpower said I still had about 12 minutes left at that point, so that's pretty good. The stove was running with the room blower fairly low and was bouncing between 85 and 120 watts depending on the auger and fan. No igniter was used which of course would eat more power.

I recently got a great deal, $60 on a much more expensive APC Smart1000 without batteries, but I already had a set of new ones on hand. That one has bigger batteries than the Cyberpower and is also pure sine and ran the stove without triggering shutdown mode. When I tested that one on roughly the same stove settings it ran the stove an hour before I ended the test and the display said I still had 30 minutes left, but that would be pushing it.

For me, those times are plenty since we rarely lose power for that long and if we do, it gives me plenty of time to start the generator if needed. Theoretically, I could add a second set of batteries externally, or since I love to tinker, I could build a LIFEPO4 battery that for the same physical size would double the capacity at half the weight. I've build several LIFEPO4 packs that with a BMS are direct replacements for lead acid as long as you don't have to charge them below freezing temps.

Ray

As said,it may not shut down, if the signal is too clean. Mine will not, with an APC1500 something or other,lol. But it will run the stove a long time, if you flip the switch to manual and set room blower to med or low.Harmans,since 2010, come set up for auto shut down, a switch setting in the old control boards,and a programming in the new digital boards. If you wanted just for shutting down, probably should have just bought a cheap non sine wave.
But test it, it may work.

Not a big fan of the cyberpower i purchased one and figured out a year later that it had internal issues... The stove would randomly turn on for a few seconds. After about a year of this randomly happening the stove started turning on for about 20-30 seconds pulled the cyber power off and hooked it up to a floor fan and POOF fan was fried in 10 seconds. Cyberpower was absolutely useless when contacted

Yeah, cyberpower not that great of a brand. Tried using those years ago when I did IT Infrastructure and they were a waste. Eaton makes decent ones, but $$$. However, with battery back-up units and the batteries themselves you truly do get what you pay for.