harmon xxv distribution blower question/help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HOGG0494

Feb 18, 2015
hidson valley,new york
my harmon xxv is starting it's 3rd season.i started it up yesterday and knowticed the distribution blower not working at all.i used a pigtail jumper to the blower and it gives a quick humm noise and the fans spin for a second then nothing.could the distribution blower be bad after 2 seasons?by jumping the blower i am eliminating all other posibilities.is this repairable or do i have to pony up $250 greenbacks for a new one?help always appriciated

What is your meaning a pigtail jumper? Bench test using a 120v power supply, i have a lamp cord with spades on it to test. If you did it that way does the motor get hot? Thermal switch inside the motor may trip if a winding is bad

yes.bench tested as you described.the motor does NOT get hot.when i connect to 120v the motor clicks on and fans move for about 1-2 seconds then nothing.the fans spin freely by hand so they are not seized

if you did a test with motor not connected to the stove and the motor does not spin up and maintain rpm's it time for a new motor.

buy not connected i mean no power wires from stove