• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bradstaley123

Dec 17, 2017
Michigan
I bought my US Stove 6041i pellet stove about a year ago. About 2 months into running the stove, it started putting out a "screaming" noise, which turned out to be bad bearings in the distribution blower. No problem. I called US Stove Co and they sent me a new blower under warranty, no questions asked.

Install the new blower very easily. Ran it for about two months with no issues what-so-ever and it started making the same bearing noise. I called US Stove CO and surprisingly, they sent me ANOTHER distribution blower under warranty.

I have run this blower on and off since November of this year and a month or two of last season and.. you guessed it, it is making the same squeeling noise again.

I took one of the previous blowers and had the bearings replaced (they are sealed bearings); I'm hoping they replaced with a higher quality bearing and maybe my issue will be fixed. I am replacing it tomorrow and obviously wont know if it solved the issues for a couple months at least.

The distribution blower model that came with the stove and that I currently have is: 80472A.

I guess my question is, do I have bad luck? Am I doing something wrong? Is it common to have so many bearings go bad??! its infuriating.

NOTE: I run my pellet stove with a thermostat. It is a high/low working thermostat. The stove is always kept at high, but only puts out high heat when it is calling for heat, but that means the distribution blower is always running at full speed. Maybe the issue?

Help!

-- Brad

USSC uses lots of stuff from china more than likely it's why your blower went and why they were so quick to replace it.

Well, I swapped out the blower with one of the same model, but different bearings. I failed to ask the repairman if he used a higher quality bearing. Hopefully the originals were just a lesser quality and the problem is fixed. Time will tell.

Get the part numbers of the stock bearing. Hit up eBay and order dome ceramics you will never have a issue again

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Well, I swapped out the blower with one of the same model, but different bearings. I failed to ask the repairman if he used a higher quality bearing. Hopefully the originals were just a lesser quality and the problem is fixed. Time will tell.
\

My 6039 uses the same blowers as your 6041. 12 seasons running the convection blower on high 99% of the time and it is just starting to fail. So it's not from you running the blower on high, I also know other owners of the same stove and have run that blower on high for years.

One thing in your OP you stated about running on a t-stat and running it on high. I would advise not to run the stove on the highest heat range setting unless you have adjusted your pounds per hour (PPH) for the high and low HR settings. These stoves have been know to warp either the door or the stove face where the door seals up.

Does your board go from HR1-HR5 or HR1-HR9? It doesn't really matter but to get those PPH feed rates set better. I've got mine set on the highest setting at 5pph, that's at HR9 and never even in the coldest weather run the stove above HR7. So I could actually adjust it down some and get a little more control between settings.

Let us know how the new bearings work. I would still call USSC and let them know about the blower issue that you keep having.

\

My 6039 uses the same blowers as your 6041. 12 seasons running the convection blower on high 99% of the time and it is just starting to fail. So it's not from you running the blower on high, I also know other owners of the same stove and have run that blower on high for years.

One thing in your OP you stated about running on a t-stat and running it on high. I would advise not to run the stove on the highest heat range setting unless you have adjusted your pounds per hour (PPH) for the high and low HR settings. These stoves have been know to warp either the door or the stove face where the door seals up.

Does your board go from HR1-HR5 or HR1-HR9? It doesn't really matter but to get those PPH feed rates set better. I've got mine set on the highest setting at 5pph, that's at HR9 and never even in the coldest weather run the stove above HR7. So I could actually adjust it down some and get a little more control between settings.

Let us know how the new bearings work. I would still call USSC and let them know about the blower issue that you keep having.

Thanks for the advice! last night was a balmy -20F without windchill... I had it on 4 (out of 5) and it kept my house at 72 degrees without issue.

I did adjust the PPH a while back, but I can't remember what to.. I dont even remember how to check, but whatever its on seems to do pretty well.

Unfortunately, a couple months after bearing replacement, the same squealing noise has started again .... I'm going to buy a a different model blower. If that doesn't work then I guess I'm going back to propane heat. Beyond frustrated.

Double check which motor the squealing is comming from. Did you replace the bearings or motor the last time?

I had the bear rings replaced. Fixed the noise I heard. Same thing has happened every time.. About 2 months of use, hear a slight squeal that gets worse overt time.

Who changed them? are they quality bearing used? Were they geased seald bearing? 2 months and failing sounds like they were dry or poor quality beaings

They were changed by a professional at an electric motor shop. Sealed bearings... I would hope that he didnt replace bearings with the original brand/model that i had before. He knew the repeat issues i had... I realized i forgot to ask what he replaced with some time after I left the shop.

Might be time to replace the motor, it may be an imbalance in the armature that takes the bearings out, or the heat. Hard to say not being there to see the parts and pieces.