Harmony 33 stove - how much fuel?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Millertime_9

Feb 3, 2020
G72 8ax
Hi all
My stove, 9.2kw never gets above 230 deg celsius

This is tested with both an IR and also stick on thermometer and tested on the body itself

Is it because I'm simply not using enough fuel?

This is it running currently with smokeless ovoids - how do you know how much to safely put in?

Thanks

20240115_173146.jpg

Is this a Euroheat H33?
Yes, it looks like you could add another layer of ovals for more heat.

Is this a Euroheat H33?
Yes, it looks like you could add another layer of ovals for more heat.
Hi yep that's the one

Ok thank you, I'll try that
Just incredibly risk averse and worried about overfiring but if stove is measuring 230 degrees celsius I'm way off that I suppose

Question... when I lower the air intake owing to the stove pipe hitting c250 degrees celsius, does the stove continue to get hotter than it is at the time I lower the air intake?

The stove body should be kept under 370ºC. Lowering the air supply will have a lagging effect on temperature but the temperature should decline.
How is the stovepipe temperature being measured? On the surface of the pipe or with a probe thermometer? How high above the stove is it being measured?

The stove body should be kept under 370ºC. Lowering the air supply will have a lagging effect on temperature but the temperature should decline.
How is the stovepipe temperature being measured? On the surface of the pipe or with a probe thermometer? How high above the stove is it being measured?
Thanks thats what I'm struggling to understand

If the flue temp (single walled, IR thermometer roughly 12 inches up from the join where it attaches to the horizontal pipe coming out the back of the stove) gets to 250 deg celsius, I lower the air volume because above 250 celsius I believe is dangerously hot? But if the stove temp at this point is only 230 celsius, then its never going to get above that 230 because I've lowered the air? Or, will it still climb higher because I've lowered the air so less heat is going up the flue?

The surface temp on the stove pipe is going to be roughly half of the flue gas temp, so yes 250 on the stove pipe is hot. Stove efficiency varies a lot. A less efficient stove is going send more heat up into the flue than a high efficiency stove. In an ideal world, the surface reading flue temp would be reading more like 150ºC with a stove top of around 250ºC. A probe thermometer in the flue gases would read at approximately the same as the stove top temp.

I am not sure if there is much secondary combustion when burning coal briquettes. Also, I don't know the stove well enough to know how much secondary combustion it can achieve. Many stoves in the UK are pretty inefficient wood burners and somewhat basic. Many depend on cleaner burning fuel instead of burning wood as cleanly as possible. They are pretty basic stoves that would not pass EPA emissions requirements in the states. This makes it hard to do a comparison because UK and EU testing standards and minimum requirements are different.

Thanks so much for sticking with me here!

Can I be cheeky and ask you to check what it says here, in the manual?

I'm convinced it's a really good quality stove and I'm just not using it right

No problem, I had already downloaded the manual. It appears to be a simple coal burning stove with no apparent secondary combustion but with a sophisticated damper system. There doesn't appear to be much to it. Am I missing something?

Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 12.19.32 PM.png

For more heat, can you burn anthracite coal?

Last edited:
Maybe the issue is not using the IR thermometer at the right bit...

This is single skin, yeah?

Where on the pipe should I actually be measuring?

I thought it was at the hottest part, which is where the horizontal pipe coming out the back meets the vertical part?

20240117_173538.jpg

The typical location for measuring on single-wall is about 18" (45cm) above the flue exit.

Is the damper area at the inside top of the fireplace well sealed around the flue pipe in order to keep the heat in the room? Have you tried putting a small fan, on the floor, pointed at a 45º angle toward the back of the fireplace to increase heat convected out of the fireplace?

That's my issue then

So looking at the pic I shared, the temp I should be measuring is roughly where the 2 ridged indented lines go around the pipe?

That would be about 18" up

I've been measuring pretty much where the horizontal pipe directly out the back of the stove meets the vertical section of the pipe

This is where I'm getting to 250deg amd then turning the air down, but I've just tested it and when it's 250deg at that bit it's only 150deg at the 2 ridged lines higher up!!

That my problem then?

Yes, the stove can put out more heat. Making sure that the heat stays in the room and not up the chimney can make an additional improvement if this has not already been done. And then, get it to convect into the room better.

Ah that's crazy then, so basically I'm miles off where I think I should be

What's the logic in checking 18" up compared to where I'm currently checking it, which is hotter?

I'd have thought checking for over fire would be at the hottest part of the flue?

Thank you again BTW- what an excellent help!