Has anyone heard negatives on the new Stihl saws?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kenster said:
My only complaint about Stihl saws is that I only have one of them. But my MS390 with Muffler Mod, running a 16 inch bar tears through my oak and hickory. Fires up every time after about three 'practice" pulls. Love it.
I hear ya "K" ! Over 100 cords on my MS 360, zero problems. Starts like the first time I bought it and runs like it!

I hear this every time there's a big shift in technology for equipment. Stratocharging has been around for a few years now and was introduced on blowers/trimmers before it moved to saws. Heard Stihl's 4-Mix was going to be junk, aluminum heads on the DuraMax would never work, etc. and so forth. People resist change, it's in our nature. I don't hear anybody calling Husqvarna's newer saws "junk" and they too are rolling out stratocharged models. It's true that the excessively and often necessarily rich mixtures running 2-strokes up to this point helped pro-long engine life but as metallurgy improves newer engines are able to tolerate the higher heat generated by lean mixtures.

xclimber said:
Had a stihl dealer tell me , last year will be the last year for good stihl saws.

I'm forced to wonder how many Stihl dealers and loyal consumers thought the exact same thing when they went to the MS designation, when they put on flippy caps or carb screw limiter caps or when chain brakes were introduced and when they started putting automatic chain oilers on.

Stihl is a good company and they make one (if not the) best 2 stroke product lines on the planet. They're not idiots and they're not going to give up their highly profitable #1 position willingly by a lack of innovation when it comes to dealing with new regulations or changes in technology.

10 years from now when the Stihl 4402i (fuel injected with over 7hp and runs twice as long as todays MS441 on 100:1 mix with one quarter the emissions of todays saw) is the dominant 70cc saw in the market, all the kids are going to wonder how us old timers ever got by with one of those heavy old fashioned 044's that barely had the power of the newer homeowner saws. The new saws will still be good for 20 years + of service.

An old thread dug up again.

Mayhem brought up some good points. I laughed especially about the automatic oilers and chain brakes. Brought back some memories and how we scoffed at some of those things people wanted to put on saws. Then it all worked out well in the end. Shoot, if anyone has ever ran one of the old gear driven saws they would never go back to those beasts.

Actually my chain brake comes in handy for me. I'll lock it on so I can roll a log over or out of the way with the locked chain, so as to complete a cut. Saves bending down.

Backwoods Savage said:
An old thread dug up again.

Mayhem brought up some good points. I laughed especially about the automatic oilers and chain brakes. Brought back some memories and how we scoffed at some of those things people wanted to put on saws. Then it all worked out well in the end. Shoot, if anyone has ever ran one of the old gear driven saws they would never go back to those beasts.

And it looks like I'm to blame. :red: How the heck did this wind up in my unread list?

I will not raise the dead..... I will not raise the dead..... I will not raise the dead..... I will not raise the dead..... I will not raise the dead..... I will not raise the dead.....

Bigg_Redd said:
My brand-new-just-bought-last-summer 440 runs like a champ and eats way too much gas to be leaned out

Yep, 440/460 either one loves fuel.....

Not all that old a thread . . . I mean it's not like it was dug up from 2008 or 2009 . . .

And for the record . . . I would have no problems buying a Stihl . . . in fact I would probably still be using a Stihl if the local dealership had not switched over to only sell Husquvarnas.

MasterMech said:
I will not raise the dead..... I will not raise the dead..... I will not raise the dead..... I will not raise the dead..... I will not raise the dead..... I will not raise the dead.....

Say that while standing in the middle of a pentagram you drew on the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.