Has anyone seen any Englander 30 NC wood stoves at Lowes or HD?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenie2008

Sep 5, 2008
eastern ny
We were hoping to find one at the end of the season, but we haven't seen any 30's all year at any of these big box stores....they have only had the 13 model, which I don't think is large enough for our house. (We currently have a VC Defiant Encore which can't really keep up on the very cold nights. Which Englander version equates to the Defiant Ecore for heating capacity... the 13 or the 30? If the 13 model heats better than the VC Defiant Encore I guess we could consider it, but we were hoping for the 30 model as that seemed more logical to us to ensure that it would keep up with heating the house enough even on the coldest days....)
We have a Stowe cape cod home (sort of like a reverse salt box style) that is 24 x 32 feet and 2 stories.
Which version would you suggest we go with?
(We have a dog door in the wall on the West side of the house which leaks...we have a towel tacked over it and then have placed a chair with a blanket over it in front of it to cut down on the draft from it. Aside from this minor source of less than desired design, the rest of the house is relatively tight and insulated, but this room and the kitchen which is on the north side adjacent to this room where the dog door is located are typically the coldest parts of the house. (We also do not seem to need to heat the upstairs as enough warm air normally finds it's way upstairs.)
Your comments and suggestions from experience would be greatly appreciated!

TIA!

And you're in NY too. They don't have the 30 around here either, even though their website shows it is something they carry. I thought that maybe they only stocked those things up north, but I guess not.

Do they have any inserts up there?

I'm not sure...I haven't been looking for inserts. I have only noticed the 13 model and that they usually seem to have pellet stoves in stock as well. Next time I stop in I'll look and try to let you know though.

karl said:
And you're in NY too. They don't have the 30 around here either, even though their website shows it is something they carry. I thought that maybe they only stocked those things up north, but I guess not.

Do they have any inserts up there?

None of the Home Depots here in Idaho/Eastern Washington have had them in stock either. Haven't seen them all year which has been kind of odd. IN past years they usually had 1-2 extra at years end.

Lowes can special order it for you, thats how I got mine. None of the stores in the state carried it as a stock, but were able to order it direct from the manufacturer. It took about 3 weeks to get in, but this was last fall when the manufacturer was swamped.
If you go this route, make sure you have all the info on the stove, stock #, etc. The clerk may or may not know what you're asking for.

Really...they had some on the floor there...were they on sale there yet or standard pricing still?
(We were in Florida for the holidays and I stopped in and checked if by some long shot they might have carried them that far south, but apparently not. Unfortunately we didn't get a chance to stop at some of the others in states farther north along the way.)
But if anyone sees any between North Carolina and Maine, especially if they are on sale, please let me know!

Thanks!

Patapsco Mike said:
I saw several NC-30's at the Ellicott City, MD Home Depot last weekend.

Call the HD on Northern Blvd in Queens (Woodside) NY, They have 3 or 4 englander stoves and 1 pellet stove in stock since the summer, At one point I could have got the Larger pellet stove for $1300.00 list was $1950.00, I was going to put it in the basement, went with a electric wall heater from Grainger. a lot cheaper.

The Home Depot here has one 13 and one 30. I couldn't believe it.

Hmm...maybe I can find their number online...I'm actually upstate near MA/VT... also not sure if I can convince my hubby to drive to the BIG scarey CITY... lol... but maybe if it's on sale I can twist his arm to take a trip down there! :)
Thanks for the info! :)

BXpellet said:
Call the HD on Northern Blvd in Queens (Woodside) NY, They have 3 or 4 englander stoves and 1 pellet stove in stock since the summer, At one point I could have got the Larger pellet stove for $1300.00 list was $1950.00, I was going to put it in the basement, went with a electric wall heater from Grainger. a lot cheaper.

There was at least 1 on the floor at HD last weekend, maybe more up on the shelves.
They will be going on sale at Lowes soon, HD waited a while last year, and didn't offer the discount Lowes did.
$476.00 was a steal. And I stole it.
;)

Head north. There is a bunch at lowes and home depo here in fairbanks. I am thinking of picking one up for my garage when lowes puts them on sale.

if you see anything on clearence dont be afraid to talk them down!! there was an artical in the paper about shoppers haggling prices at big box stores becasue no one is buying anything these days

picked up a troy built 33 ton splitter this weekend - on the floor marked down to 1795.00 from 2200 - i called and said i would buy it if they came down to 1500.00 - done deal after tax and assembly the total was $1600.00

also if you are buying at lowes - go to

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?acti...ving&semsubcatg=Brand&semkeyword=lowes+moving

and get a 10% off coupon and use that after you get the price you want - i got my coupon yesterday and called and said i left it at hoe when i bought the splitter. they said no problem just come in and we'll credit you 10% - so my net prie on the 33 ton was $1440.00

Greenie2008 said:
Really...they had some on the floor there...were they on sale there yet or standard pricing still?

It didn't appear to be on sale, but I wasn't really paying attention as I'm not in the market for a new stove.

HD website has them for $1169 which includes shipping. I assume you still pay sales tax.

as of last week the lowes in lake grove/stonybrook had at least 1 large & 1 smaller englander freestanding wood burners in stock

Yes, that is what we were hoping for too, but apparently we unfortunately may not be that lucky! :(

But please post if you see any especially if they are on clearance as we are looking still .... although we may need to pay more than we had hoped.

Thanks! :)

PS----Maybe I'll call some of the stores that you gave me the locations for and ask if they will negotiate the price....it can't really hurt to try, eh?

karl said:
I was hoping for a Hogwilz type deal on one.

I'm afraid the deals are not going to be like last year and the year before. The only reason they sold these stoves cheap then....is that they didn't sell during the season.

Guess what? They sold this season!

I think deals of the truly amazing type will be rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.