Has Anyone Used a Vornado Air Moving Fan - or - What do you use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

defield

Hearth Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
South Central Maine
Has anyone used a Vornado Air Moving Fan?

What type of fan(s) do you use to circulate heated air ??

I am mainly interested in better heated air circulation on the main living level of a fairly open floor plan 26' x 38' Cape Cod with the pellet stove in the living room connected to a central chimney.

Thanks,

Ranger

Ranger,

You have a link to that fan? I get all kinds when I googled it.

I have a 16 cheapo box fan aimed at my stove. 2 6" duct fans mounted in my floor vents. Again cheapes from HD. But they do move the air.

I have found that if you try to move the air with a high volume fan, You do get a cooling effect from that. I try to us low CFM, but steady air movement.

just my 2

jtakeman said:
Ranger,

You have a link to that fan? I get all kinds when I googled it.

I have a 16 cheapo box fan aimed at my stove. 2 6" duct fans mounted in my floor vents. Again cheapes from HD. But they do move the air.

I have found that if you try to move the air with a high volume fan, You do get a cooling effect from that. I try to us low CFM, but steady air movement.

just my 2

That makes perfect sense (now)...but, I never thought of that when using my Vornado fan on high to blow cold air down my stairway in an effort to move hot air up to my second floor. What would be a low enough CFM without causing heat loss?

I agree with Jay....I use a little 14" table fan (set on low) placed in a hallway to pull warm air from the room the stove is in, and blow it toward the cooler rear hallway. The warm air is replaced by cooler air from the rear hall, so it sets up a circulation in my situation.

Basically though, don't try to move air too fast.....as Jay said, slow & steady, and that will get you warm air moving around, and no cold drafts.

So, I am currently using a fan low to the ground blowing cold air down the stairway towards the stove assuming that that air will be replaced by warmer air flowing along the ceiling of the stairway going up. My house is around 4 years old and maybe a little too tight so we had and air block at the top of the stairs. No matter how hot the downstairs got we could not get the warm air to rise up. The fan helped quite a bit.

I also have to of the corner mount doorway fans (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053).
I just got them recently. They are rated for 100 CFM. They do seem to circulate the air pretty well and I think it helps having them mounted high in the doorways to push the warm air. My only complaint is they are louder than I was expecting. Does anyone know of something similar to these but maybe a little quieter? The size of this corner fan is perfect, it just needs to be quieter while moving the same amount of air. I was actually thinking of trying a small Vornado fan instead, but are they any quieter?

Gweeper64 said:
I also have to of the corner mount doorway fans.....They do seem to circulate the air pretty well ......My only complaint is they are louder than I was expecting........

In theory, they are a good idea, and placement is good too, but it seems that pretty much everyone that buys them says the same thing...." their louder than I thought they'd be"

old computer fans are good. They are small enough to hang in any door corner from a finnish nail, use little power, can be moved easily and are enough to move the air from room to room with little noise.

PDK9 said:
old computer fans are good. They are small enough to hang in any door corner from a finnish nail, use little power, can be moved easily and are enough to move the air from room to room with little noise.

Do they have plugs on them?

I've been using a normal hosehold pedestal fan.

I have that placed in the diningroom blowing air into the kitchen. The stove is in the lining room right next to the dining room. Hard to describe without a picture, but that one fan is all I need.

The air circulates through the Kitchen (which is at the rear of the house) around to the front and then up the staircase to the second level. The living room with the stove is next that staircase and if I stand at the entrance to that room and the stairs, I can feel the colder air coming down and going into the stove room.

Anyway, one fan seems to work for us with this layout. I do want to get a smaller one, though. This one is a little to large to be sitting where it is.

the old ranger said:
jtakeman,

The fans I was looking at are at the follpowing link.

http://www.rewci.com/vornadofans.html

Ranger

They all seem kind of pricey. I got my floor fan at Big lots for like $15.00 or something like that.

I would experiment with a cheapy fan before I bought any thing expensive. I guess I am frugal with things like that.

jtakeman said:
the old ranger said:
jtakeman,

The fans I was looking at are at the follpowing link.

http://www.rewci.com/vornadofans.html

Ranger

They all seem kind of pricey. I got my floor fan at Big lots for like $15.00 or something like that.

I would experiment with a cheapy fan before I bought any thing expensive. I guess I am frugal with things like that.

I agree. No need to spend much for a fan. Actually I`m using a 10" table fan (removed the base) and have it mounted upside down and blowing heat up from the basement (pellet stove location) through a floor vent. It has to move more than 100CFM and it`s as quiet as a quiet fan gets. Price=$15.00

I have a Vornado. My son uses it in his room in the summer to stay cool. Sits on the floor facing into the room with my insert and pushes the hot air out nicely. Which I think any fan will do. Vornado is a fun name but I think it's just a fan.

The room that my stove is in has a ceiling fan in it and I keep that on low and set to push air down from the ceiling to help move the heated air around. Works great.

Yep, ceiling fans work well and are quiet too.

By the way... I do have a Vornado. I use it in the motorhome when I have electricity because it works better (more evenly) than the furnace. It does circulate air well. Oh, didn't mention before that my Vornado is also a heater, not just a blower.

Packerfan Dan,

Which model Vornado do you have?

How is it for noise?

Thank you,

Ranger

I bought two of these vornado fans last year, they are great !
I use them as cold air returns on two separate floors.
They make a huge difference in heat distribution thru the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.