Hate leaving wood!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

baseroom

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Rochester
Saw some EAB deadwood on the the side of the road. When I went back with the truck it was 95 degrees and80% humidity. A lot was cut in 4-5" lengths. Wrestled 6 or 8 of those out of the brush. Unfortunately the trunk which was 18" in diameter was left 10 ' long. Ahh! If it had been 50 out, or if my saw was handy I would have found a way. But seeing as i was already soaked with sweat, and I have 3+ years CSS....I sadly drove away. Killed me!!!!!

Hydro cut a 24" maple in a front lawn at the edge of town. Blocked it into 3-4' pieces and cleaned up the limbwood. I watched it for a month but never saw anyone home. Figured I could hook the trailer behind the tractor and then be back on site with the forks in 1/2hr. Loaded and home in 60 minutes.
After about 6 weeks it was still there and there was a car in the driveway so I stopped in. When I asked if she would like the huge blocks removed she started quoting face cord prices so I thanked her and left....
A month later the blocks are still there

Hydro cut a 24" maple in a front lawn at the edge of town. Blocked it into 3-4' pieces and cleaned up the limbwood. I watched it for a month but never saw anyone home. Figured I could hook the trailer behind the tractor and then be back on site with the forks in 1/2hr. Loaded and home in 60 minutes.
After about 6 weeks it was still there and there was a car in the driveway so I stopped in. When I asked if she would like the huge blocks removed she started quoting face cord prices so I thanked her and left....
Yea Pay me to take the wood off my lawn.....right!

She should advertise in craigslist, lol

Reactions: baseroom
City people think there aren't billions of other trees within 10 miles.

This is true.

On the flip side I have to laugh at probably some of the city folks who pay like $5 or $10 bucks for a bundle of fire wood along the road side. You see it near camp grounds and stuff. $5 bucks for 6 or 7 splits of most likely green poor burning wood.

But I guess that's their only option ? I've got plenty of stacked firewood if a nice person needed 7 or 8 splits of firewood to go camping with for the weekend I'd feel guilty asking for $5 bucks. I'd give it to them if they asked nicely.

Heck I'd probably fill the back of their SUV with wood for some free beer

This is true.

On the flip side I have to laugh at probably some of the city folks who pay like $5 or $10 bucks for a bundle of fire wood along the road side. You see it near camp grounds and stuff. $5 bucks for 6 or 7 splits of most likely green poor burning wood.

But I guess that's their only option ? I've got plenty of stacked firewood if a nice person needed 7 or 8 splits of firewood to go camping with for the weekend I'd feel guilty asking for $5 bucks. I'd give it to them if they asked nicely.

Heck I'd probably fill the back of their SUV with wood for some free beer

I like to bring my own firewood whenever I can, however, I'm heading to a campsite in CT that states all over their website, No outside wood. If you bring in your own wood, they will ask you to leave with no refund. I'll be one of those folks paying 7 bucks a bundle for garbage wood. Kills me when I have a couple cords of seasoned oak and maple at home.

I like to bring my own firewood whenever I can, however, I'm heading to a campsite in CT that states all over their website, No outside wood. If you bring in your own wood, they will ask you to leave with no refund. I'll be one of those folks paying 7 bucks a bundle for garbage wood. Kills me when I have a couple cords of seasoned oak and maple at home.
Rules like this minimize or slow the spread of disease or insects ... can't transport firewood between Manitoba and Ontario or Minnesota and Ontario.

You are also contributing to their local economy by keeping their supplier busy!

Status
Not open for further replies.