Have any of you transitioned to a minimalist lifestyle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering if maybe the reason you don't get it is because it's something you just naturally do already.

Hmmm...Sly, I think you might be on to something and maybe that's why I have difficulty in understanding. I am not a complicated person. Old truck (although looking to replace out of need and I pay cash), old house (1750 sqft). I don't do fancy. Just not my style. I don't care what the Jones's are making payments on this month. Outside of the house, everything is owned outright. Retired at 47 and now doing the things that I want to do. Just got back from TX to visit family and friends, etc. Maybe I am already there and just don't know it. But I have a lot of "stuff" and I guess that is the part that makes me scratch my head. That stuff is what allows me to do half the stuff that makes me happy.

Reactions: Dtcryan
For me, it is a battle of materialism. Stuff is just stuff. Cars end up in the ground. Homes rot and fall apart. Tools rust and get lost. You pass away and all you cared about is sold at a garage sale for pennies. Your business collapses. Your health deteriorates as you age.

Happiness is not in stuff. It is in experiences, loved ones, faith and many other things with no price.

I'm an outright capitalist through and through. That doesn't mean I believe consumerism or stuff makes people happy. It really doesn't.

In my mind, children and the positive experiences we give other people are our only legacy.

. . . and as my wife has said . . . for most folks, in two, maybe three generations after your death, all your name is to most folks is a name on a headstone or an entry in the family tree. After two or three generations, friends are usually long gone and even family members may only distantly (if at all) remember you and what your life was like.

Do I really need to buy that sweatshirt? Sure, it's cool, but in have 6 already. Do I need to buy that new phone? The one in have works fine. How about that hot new truck? The one I have looks and runs great. Do I really need that new 4k smart TV? I'm trying to watch less TV and be more productive with my time anyway. Do I need to buy that new dining room set? The table and chairs we have works just fine, it just isn't fancy. The list goes on and on.
I dig what you're saying in your post, but I'd rather watch Pixar's latest on my 70" flat screen than mom's old 27" CRT. There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying the latest and greatest, and it doesn't need to fly in the face of your principles, if you do your due diligence and pass along the old TV's to someone who can use them.

I do want a hot car, big fancy house, and the latest ginormous TV... but I also work on moving out the stuff I don't need or use, to keep things relatively simple and clutter-free. Don't confuse minimalism or simpler living with settling for less than the best of whatever you enjoy.

Of course, if you don't get joy from these things, then life is even simpler. But I don't trust any guy who doesn't get joy from a nice car. ;)

I'm with you there. This is a struggle for me. Things do bring me joy. I think we all have to question why we work and what we work for in order to prioritize our life.

I love cars, bikes and anything with power. I am constantly trying to curb my needs and wants.

The way I affordably quench this thirst is by buying quality cars and bikes. Even when they get older, they still start and run great.

But I don't trust any guy who doesn't get joy from a nice car. ;)

I'm more a truck guy than a car guy. If I had my way, I'd be driving a brand new lifted Silverado Z71 with all the goodies. It would also keep me trapped in my current job even more.

My two Harleys are staying though. I absolutely can't live without those.

-SF

Reactions: Sprinter
There is so many differences of what folks consider 'minimalist'....we have 5 (mostly all grown up) kids that really didn't notice
the lack of designer shoes/clothes or that we didn't have 400 cable channels; dvds worked just fine.
My kids heard the adage: "use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without" many many times. Hand-me-downs were common
and we learned to sew/knit/MEND (so many people are astonished that I actually mend clothes! I consider it a necessity).
Playing cards/board games/reading books took the place of the expensive "x-box" or "wii" that we couldn't afford.
We also bought a fixer-upper for "cheap" ( mortgage free after the sale of our first fixer-upper)
and spent 10 years fixing it up a little at a time. Saturday night "date night"
was usually spent strolling the hardware store with all the kids looking for sales.
Most of our meat is from Pennsylvania woodland deer that my hubby butchers with the
help of the kids....they all LOVE going to school and telling their friends that they helped
cut up a deer the night before!
We get our 'free for the taking' firewood from a friend with a farm and lots of windfalls.

My advice would be to just do what you can. Bloom where you're planted!

Hmmm...Sly, I think you might be on to something and maybe that's why I have difficulty in understanding. I am not a complicated person. Old truck (although looking to replace out of need and I pay cash), old house (1750 sqft). I don't do fancy. Just not my style. I don't care what the Jones's are making payments on this month. Outside of the house, everything is owned outright. Retired at 47 and now doing the things that I want to do. Just got back from TX to visit family and friends, etc. Maybe I am already there and just don't know it. But I have a lot of "stuff" and I guess that is the part that makes me scratch my head. That stuff is what allows me to do half the stuff that makes me happy.
Yep, Jags, you are most certainly already there. Being able to retire at 47 is a dead giveaway, and everything else that you describe fits the bill as well.

I have to disagree with the "old truck" premise that several here have floated, as a means of simplification. It's applicable across a wide range of life choices, the truck just being one example of many.

The things that keep me from spending time with my family are never the nice new shiny things. Rather, it's the hours I spend on jobs like repairing my 31 year old tractor, my 20 year old chainsaws, and my 12 year old truck. Splitting firewood may be my largest time-sink. Self-sufficience, in all aspects, takes a lot of hours out of the day.

Reactions: Jags
Replacing the old truck with a shiny-er, new-er one will afford me a more reliable opportunity to hitch my wagon (in this case a bass boat) to it and take off for places I want to go. It will virtually IMPROVE my lifestyle.:cool:

I have to disagree with the "old truck" premise that several here have floated, as a means of simplification. It's applicable across a wide range of life choices, the truck just being one example of many.

The things that keep me from spending time with my family are never the nice new shiny things. Rather, it's the hours I spend on jobs like repairing my 31 year old tractor, my 20 year old chainsaws, and my 12 year old truck. Splitting firewood may be my largest time-sink. Self-sufficience, in all aspects, takes a lot of hours out of the day.

I think you always have to incorporate the underlying premise of living within your means. If the only way you can have the new truck and all the other goodies is to make payments, that locks you in and creates stress and mental clutter, at least for some. In that case I'd either not have the truck or would prefer doing a little work on what I could afford and pocket the difference but as always there's no free lunch and I don't think the ethic equates to easy, more like less stress (I know, talk to me when I can't get that frozen bolt loose).

Also don't forget less house and yard means less stuff needed to handle maintenance. If anyone likes having these things that's OK (although I intensely dislike seeing people driving around the neighborhood in their Nissan Armada, idiots) but many of the people espousing this ethic found they were not happy trying to keep the brass ring.

If having the new truck/tractor/chainsaw, etc. requires one to work six more months of their life at a job that they don't like instead of family time or bass fishing, then it's a false economy. If you already have the means to afford new without working more of your precious days away, then I am in total agreement with your statement.

That said, I have had precious hours spent with Dad keeping the old tractor running, hours that would not have been spent together otherwise.

Reactions: Sprinter and Ashful
If having the new truck/tractor/chainsaw, etc. requires one to work six more months of their life at a job that they don't like instead of family time or bass fishing, then it's a false economy.

Unless its the...Canyonero.

Reactions: Lake Girl

Good point. The cost of an item is more than just money. It is the time spent maintaining it. I mentioned this about the house earlier. There is a trade off where the time spent maintaining something, and the opportunity cost of that time outweighs the monetary cost of buying a newer item.

In my case, my 2004 Silverado has been really reliable, runs great, and has needed very little in the way of repairs. If it gets to the point where it is bleeding me dry with repairs or requiring me to spend an inordinate amount of time wrenching on it, it would absolutely be worth replacing with a newer truck.

It is also worth noting that a lot of us here enjoy the time we spend working on things in the garage or splitting wood, etc... so there is a positive value to those things in our lives.

-SF

It is also worth noting that a lot of us here enjoy the time we spend working on things in the garage or splitting wood, etc... so there is a positive value to those things in our lives.
Definitely. These jobs are a great escape for anyone with a regular desk job, even better if you can convince the family to participate in them with you, but I have not been successful on that front.

Reactions: SlyFerret
Definitely. These jobs are a great escape for anyone with a regular desk job, even better if you can convince the family to participate in them with you, but I have not been successful on that front.
I stacked firewood in an ugly way in a backyard and my wife does it since then. may be you should try it. That's was her first step to live simpler life. It keeps her from shopping and substitutes gym workout.,

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
That's a good idea, Dmitry, but you must consider the personality types of the parties involved. I'm the OCD nut in our relationship, she'd not even notice if the wood were stacked ugly... she doesn't even notice when the amount of wood in the back yard changes by six cords at a time.

If you're looking for low maintenance I'm not sure a log cabin is the right way to go . . . although I know "minimalist life style" is not the same as "low maintenance life style." I know my Uncle has to occasionally re-chink his log cabin which seems like a bit of a pain to me . . . about as much as having to repaint a house, poly cedar shakes, etc.
Agree. I've looked into the log house thing in the past, and have toured a few while looking for a new place. It seems "cool" and all, but no where near low maintenance. They also don't seem to re-sell very easily either. Most of the ones I've looked at were having dry rot problems, too.

And I thought I retired early! That makes a big difference. In retirement, you must stay busy to stay happy and alive. I'm in the country with country stuff and chores, and fix-it projects, but all those things are not problematic, they just keep me going. If I were still working full-time and a half like I did, it would be much more stressful.

. . . and as my wife has said . . . for most folks, in two, maybe three generations after your death, all your name is to most folks is a name on a headstone or an entry in the family tree. After two or three generations, friends are usually long gone and even family members may only distantly (if at all) remember you and what your life was like.
Rather a maudlin thought, but too true. To me, it means "don't take yourself too seriously!"

Just read through this thread and the wifey an I are not "minimalists" but to coin a term..."simplists." We, like a lot of you, live within our means, are not extravagant, buy quality things [to avoid buying quantities of things], and try only to have what we need, when we need it. We live virtually debt free and do without a lot of unnecessary things.
Really, that is the point of minimalism and living simply. Figure out what are needs and what are wants...cut out the wants. For some people, that is living off-grid, in a tiny house, making everything they use. For us, it is small town life, for others, it will be suburbia, or city life. One choice is not any better or worse than any other in that all people are different. The key for us is having what we enjoy and enjoying what we have...in other words, living. God gave me a bunch of talents & I am using them to the best of my ability. I hope and pray my kids see this more than anything else.
We are living simply and the best that we can do, given the choices we have made. For each of us, this simple life will be different, and this what makes life interesting, at least for me anyway.

Just read through this thread and the wifey an I are not "minimalists" but to coin a term..."simplists." We, like a lot of you, live within our means, are not extravagant, buy quality things [to avoid buying quantities of things], and try only to have what we need, when we need it. We live virtually debt free and do without a lot of unnecessary things.
Really, that is the point of minimalism and living simply. Figure out what are needs and what are wants...cut out the wants. For some people, that is living off-grid, in a tiny house, making everything they use. For us, it is small town life, for others, it will be suburbia, or city life. One choice is not any better or worse than any other in that all people are different. The key for us is having what we enjoy and enjoying what we have...in other words, living. God gave me a bunch of talents & I am using them to the best of my ability. I hope and pray my kids see this more than anything else.
We are living simply and the best that we can do, given the choices we have made. For each of us, this simple life will be different, and this what makes life interesting, at least for me anyway.
I like this new term.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Reactions: HisTreeNut
When I was working and scrimping & saving I was pretty frugal. Built up a nice retirement stash. House is paid off, no debt.

So now I'm livin' large! Wagyu beef, Maine lobster tails flown in next day air. Hotels with Jacuzzi's in the room, first class airfare.

Nothing like a fifty dollar lunch at the sushi bar - :)

True enough. But, there is that old saying about throwing out the baby with the bathwater!

I've found that the wedding ring has transformed countless reasonable people into complete nutjobs. It's 2017. Isn't it time to put that old, outdated tradition to rest?
Depends on who you marry and how flexible you are in living with others ... 30 years, 6 children later and we still like each other:) Chances are the "nutjobs" were always "nutjobs" but in cognito. If one is rigid in their expectations, you may have a problem...

Our house is just under 2000 sq foot and housed 8 people. The bedrooms are not huge but, besides Hubby and I, the twins were the only ones that had to share a room. Once the oldest went to university, they got their own rooms too. I have been decluttering the house lately but there are some items from their childhood that will not go away ... the wall of books, the legos, some dolls and the boardgames will remain for when grandkids come to visit and need something to do on a rainy day.

Living out in the boonies has it's challenges... no grocery store around the corner so you have to become organized in your meal planning, know your consumption and have storage. The usual with children ... the school, doctor, dentist, after school activities become more time consuming with a 1/2 hour to hour drive time one way. We minimized on the activities to one at a time ... our girls took ballet/dance for about 12 years; some of the boys did tae kwon do for many years with a few soccer/baseball seasons thrown in. We also stayed away from the big ticket sports ... hockey locally ... with price tags on gear and then travel for games away. With the dance and tae kwon do, travel to competitive events was once or twice a year. There are some children who have so many activities, they have no time to just be ... or dream. Friends were always welcome and actually reduced the sibling fights!

Living at the lake has involved water toys ... simple noodles to boats. Again, expectations and realities can be managed. When the kids were little, a good chunk of time was spent on beach duty. Some of the kids would go off for hours in the canoe to explore (life jackets and let me know what general direction though!) Winter time - snow shoes, skis, sleds are far cheaper than snowmachines, excellent physical health promoters. Yes we do have the snowmachines but they are the oldies but goodies. Neighbour who bought a pontoon boat only goes out once or twice a year. Big investment for little return...

The children have seen first-hand why quality of items is more important than quantity ... They each have a dresser that was a hand-me-down made from real wood from their great grandparents' households (some were pretty sad when they got here and needed some TLC). The desks or bookcases that were bought for short term need are long gone due to the particle board content. You may pay more initially but it is bought once and done. We bought they oldest boys a bunk bed for our old house ... metal frame that lasted about 4 years before noticing cracks, etc. For the twins, I built a wood bunk bed that is in storage waiting for the next round.

Bottom line ... choices and planning.

As to your job, is it one that never truly gives you a break? On call 24/7? Do you work from one specific room in your home or anywhere/everywhere? Is it minimalism you are shooting for or distinct separation between home life/work life?

Last edited:
Kind of a vicious cycle ... new & shiny that you can't repair and are at the mercy of the dealership on costs or old & reliable that with some time and a few parts do their job. The Kubota we bought had to have the dash replaced by year 2 due to a buildup of condensation under the glass that corroded the ignition ... an outside piece of equipment that couldn't handle being outside. New and still needed repair:( Dash barely on warranty but either had to do-it-ourselves or trailer it in to the dealer 1/2 hour away. Lost time either way ....

Reactions: Lloyd the redneck
Status
Not open for further replies.