Having a bad day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doocrew

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2008
Southern NH
Got a call from the wife at noon today to tell me my 16X42 Cover-it garage that I store my pellets and my plow truck in had collapsed. She said it shook the whole house when it went down. I guess it just could not take the weight of all the snow we have had. The good news is that I took the plow truck to work so no vehicles were inside and I was able to salvage all of my remaining pellets. The neighbors kid and I were able to jack up one side and we were able to climb under and pull the bags of pellets out. I only had about 2 tons left.

Attachments

• tn_102_5387.jpg
    tn_102_5387.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 421
  • tn_102_5397.jpg
    tn_102_5397.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 366
Been there a year ago. I had a large shed/barn that was crushed with a tree that blew down and took the entire shed and demolished everything inside along with 1.5 tons of pellets. At the end of the day, it was a headache and looking back on the entire ordeal I actually made out on it and everything was replaced and all NEW...Thats what insurance is for and if you have a good homeowners policy they will pick up the tab... Hang in there!

Lots of that happen with all this heavy snow were getiing. I had my son shovel the shed were I keep my snow blower off today. He was easy on me it only cost me $10.00!

Glad you saved the pellets and the truck was out when it happened. Maybe insurance will get you a new one?

I submitted a claim with insurance so we will see what happens. I originally put the garage up to keep my motor home under cover but have since sold it. I really don't need anything that big so I may decide to build a smaller wood frame garage in its place. I have a two-car garage attached to the house for the vehicles but it sure is nice to have that extra space to keep other stuff under cover.

Save the pellets!!!!!!!!!

Good that you didn't get hurt while digging the pellets out. Fortunate that the truck was out of there. Never know why things happen the way they do, but for you, not so bad. You'll get a new shed and I'll bet a good pitch to a metal roof this time.

Hello

Wow, glad everything is OK what a winter!

How about 2 Home Depot Roofs below? I hope they do not use the building materials they SELL to build their roofs!!

Did you hear that an Employee and their Manager at Home Depot in Plaistow NH heard strange noises on the roof so they shut the place down until a structural Eng came in! He said it was just the roof settling and they re-opened!!

I do not think I will go there for a while!!

From >> http://www.wmur.com/news/26710773/detail.html
PLAISTOW, N.H. -- State fire officials are raising concerns about heavy snow piled on roofs after the latest in a long string of winter storms passed through New Hampshire.

No roof collapses have been reported, but a Home Depot in Plaistow was evacuated and closed for hours Wednesday until an engineer determined the building was safe.

Management closed the store as a precaution after an employee heard a noise from the snow- and ice-covered roof.

"An employee inside had heard a noise from the roof area," said Plaistow Fire Chief John McArdle. "They weren't sure what it was. A manager investigated, and he couldn't determine."

Engineers found no issues, but they said the roof was likely settling under the weight of the snow and ice. The store was reopened Wednesday afternoon.

The buildup of snow and ice from so many recent storms on top of homes and buildings has authorities concerned. The New Hampshire Fire Marshal's Office issued a building collapse danger warning Tuesday, urging people to clear roofs of snow and ice.

At the Mini Express convenience store in Plaistow, the owner's family worked to make sure the roof was clear of snow.

"When it gets real bad, we have to shovel the roof off because we don't want it to collapse or anything like that," said family member Brian Sok.

Clearing roofs can be dangerous, and fire officials said anyone not familiar with roof work should seek help.

"If you're not sure yourself, call a contractor that has done this and has the right equipment to clear a roof safely," McArdle said.

The Fire Marshal's Office said that when the state was last hit hard with snow in 2008, there were 223 building collapses across the state causing more than $10 million in damage.

Also the HD in CO !!
From >> http://articles.courant.com/2011-02...0202-20110201_1_roof-collapse-officials-crews
Home Depot Evacuated After Roof Deemed A 'Potential Hazard'
February 01, 2011|By HILLARY FEDERICO, [email protected], The Hartford Courant

SOUTHINGTON Emergency crews shut down a Home Depot on Tuesday after fearing the roof would be a "potential hazard."

Fire officials said that The Home Depot, 1816 Meriden-Waterbury Road, was evacuated around 3 p.m. after they received reports of a "pending roof collapse."

No injuries were reported.

Officials said the roof did not collapse, but it was sagging under the weight of accumulated ice and snow. A building inspector and officials from the Southington Fire Department went to the scene to evaluate the facility.

It was not known on Tuesday night when the business will reopen.

Check back for updates.

Attachments

• PlastowNHHome depot.jpg
    PlastowNHHome depot.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 231
Status
Not open for further replies.