Heating w/ Breckwell Sonora

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mbentley200

Dec 13, 2023
El Dorado, CA
Hello! I am a newbie to pellet stove ownership. Just put in a new Breckwell Sonora. I have about 1900 square feet - it's in open front room (tall ceilings that lead right to the bedrooms) and then the rest of the downstairs rooms (family room and kitchen) are somewhat blocked by walls. The regular thermostat is maybe 20 feet away from the stove between living and family rooms.

So, the first few days I had the stove on it was perfect. I kept it at level 3 with the blower on and it basically got my downstairs to 72 (according to thermostat 20 feet away) and my upstairs to 75. I was able to completely turn off my HVAC and was prepared to stop paying PGE for my electric heat. BTW, I'm in northern Cali - no snow, about 50-55 degrees during the day, 40 at night. Now, all the sudden, I can't get the thermostat to go above 69 downstairs. and upstairs maybe 67-68. It doesn't seem like anything has changed - same pellets, same level of heat (it seems) and it's working fine. I cleaned it out - hardly any ash - scraped the pot and put it back on and the same. The flame is great, the heat seems to be coming out, the blower is working. I cannot figure out what changed and it's driving me crazy!! It hasn't been any colder outside and now I'm faced with having to turn my electric heat back on =( The only thing I will say, is that when I turned the stove down to '2' before finally turning it off, the flame was still the same height. It's a heftier flame unless it's on '1' the last couple of days.

I know no one is going to be able to help- this is more of a vent, lol. Doesn't it seem like if it's 50 degrees outside the stove should be heating at least to70, 20 feet away?